TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sachin Chandra

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2020
I would second that and add give yourself time to review and edit. I need at least two drafts before I'm comfortable with any app.
Best strategy is to write a draft and then sit on it and tinker for as long as possible. Do thorough research before and over time you will pick up good phrase and sentences that you can use across different apps for generic questions

avyanka09

Standard Member
Sep 23, 2022
Nope, haven't heard back yet - sorry!
Also, sorry for yet another question, but I was wondering, post assessment upon receiving the feedback report which ranks our qualities on a scale of 'low,' 'mid,' and 'high'-- is it strange that a lot of my qualities have been ranked as 'mid' (which I presume means that the particular quality of mine is at par with a lot of other candidates)? Was it perhaps the same for you?

Frankly, I felt the results were not exactly reflective of my character, for instance; to take action I got ranked 'low' saying that "You prefer to take your time getting started on tasks," but I would say that I am really quite proactive in general. So, it is disappointing that with the mini-games my personality traits are being analysed and they make decisions based off of, when it actually seems to be more of a test for my reaction speed and my gaming abilities 😔😔😔

Last edited:

gw9

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 28, 2022
Also sorry for yet another question, but I was wondering, post assessment upon receiving the feedback report which ranks our qualities on a scale of 'low,' 'mid,' and 'high'-- is it strange that a lot of my qualities have been ranked as 'mid' (which I presume means that the particular quality of mine is at a similar par with a lot of other candidates)? Was it perhaps the same for you?

Frankly, I felt the results were not exactly reflective of my character, for instance; to take action I got ranked 'low' saying that "You prefer to take your time getting started on tasks," but I would say that really I am quite proactive in general. So, it is quite disappointing that with the mini-games my personality traits are being analysed and they make decisions based off of which are simply and largely based on my reaction speed 😔😔😔
I've messaged you!

• 🤝
Reactions: Elsa3.1415

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    For those who have received an AC invite from CMS. Can you confirm which dates they have given as options to attend?

Just intrigued as to when ACs are taking place so I know when to give up hoping for a VI invite.

Thank you in advance

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    Been seeing quite a few people receiving video assessment invites from Clyde & Co. I sat their video assessment for the winter vac last year. Didn't get progressed to AC but happy to give you a rough overview of what to expect (without giving away the questions, of course). I couldn't really keep track of everyone who asked as there were quite a few people who have posted about this and I don't think I have the time to sift through the thread to message you one by one. But if you still need help with it, please feel free to send me a private message.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Random late-night top tip when writing applications!

I would recommend avoiding the term "interpersonal skills" and claiming you have them. Interpersonal skills are actually a broad and diverse mix of skills and the term is so vague it can often be less impactful using it.

Here are just some of the skills that fall under this broader terminology. If you select the more specific options within "interpersonal skills", your answer is likely to be more unique:
    • Awareness (of yourself and others)
    • Caring about other people
    • Collaborating and working well together with others
    • Comforting people when they need it
    • Clear communication skills
    • Conflict management and resolution skills
    • Constructive feedback (ways people can improve)
    • Diplomacy (handling affairs without hostility)
    • Empathy for others
    • Encouraging and inspiring people to do their best
    • Flexibility in thinking and operating style
    • Humour and light-heartedness
    • Inspiring and motivating others to active greatness
    • Listening well
    • Mentoring and coaching team members
    • Networking and building relationships
    • Observing nonverbal cues and body language
    • Patience when dealing with others
    • Public speaking and presentation skills
    • Respect for everyone, no matter who they are
    • Sensitivity toward the preferences and wishes of others
    • Socializing skills
    • Being good at team building and at building trust
    • Tolerance and respect for team members

Elsa3.1415

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2021
    Also, sorry for yet another question, but I was wondering, post assessment upon receiving the feedback report which ranks our qualities on a scale of 'low,' 'mid,' and 'high'-- is it strange that a lot of my qualities have been ranked as 'mid' (which I presume means that the particular quality of mine is at par with a lot of other candidates)? Was it perhaps the same for you?

Frankly, I felt the results were not exactly reflective of my character, for instance; to take action I got ranked 'low' saying that "You prefer to take your time getting started on tasks," but I would say that I am really quite proactive in general. So, it is disappointing that with the mini-games my personality traits are being analysed and they make decisions based off of, when it actually seems to be more of a test for my reaction speed and my gaming abilities 😔😔😔
    Hey, I had the same experience, the vast majority was mid, a few low and 0 high. And I also feel like it was extremely inaccurate. I actually took many supervised IQ / EQ / Personality tests that were more extensive in the past years. I can safely say that they contradict most of the results I got. My psychiatrist would burst out laughing if she was told that I am "motivated to maintain a sense of predictability once a situation becomes familiar".

All in all, it looks quite random to me, which is very frustrating given the time I spent attempting the final task (and on my application more broadly). The faces looked nothing like real humans (sorry if I can't read the emotions of aliens?), and many of the games were actually quite laggy / buggy at times, although I have a brand-new PC and perfect wifi.

Sorry for all the details, but if my rant can help any of you take the whole thing less personally, that's at least something positive coming out of my experience 🥲

gabynosaure

Star Member
  • Aug 27, 2022
    Hey, I had the same experience, the vast majority was mid, a few low and 0 high. And I also feel like it was extremely inaccurate. I actually took many supervised IQ / EQ / Personality tests that were more extensive in the past years. I can safely say that they contradict most of the results I got. My psychiatrist would burst out laughing if she was told that I am "motivated to maintain a sense of predictability once a situation becomes familiar".

All in all, it looks quite random to me, which is very frustrating given the time I spent attempting the final task (and on my application more broadly). The faces looked nothing like real humans (sorry if I can't read the emotions of aliens?), and many of the games were actually quite laggy / buggy at times, although I have a brand-new PC and perfect wifi.

Sorry for all the details, but if my rant can help any of you take the whole thing less personally, that's at least something positive coming out of my experience 🥲
    I feel the same way, I got most of mine if the middle and I would say the results are about 60% accurate. It’s just annoying that they will take those into account when I feel like I had a pretty good application.

• 🤝
    Reactions: avyanka09

lawstudent0303

Distinguished Member
    Dec 8, 2022
    @Jessica Booker Good morning 🙂 I'm an international student on a Tier 4 visa. This is one of the questions for HL: "Do you currently have the right to work in the office location(s) you are applying to without requiring sponsorship indefinitely and without restrictions?"

While my visa covers the summer vacation scheme, I wouldn't be able to work without requiring sponsorship "indefinitely". Should I answer yes or no?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Good morning 🙂 I'm an international student on a Tier 4 visa. This is one of the questions for HL: "Do you currently have the right to work in the office location(s) you are applying to without requiring sponsorship indefinitely and without restrictions?"

While my visa covers the summer vacation scheme, I wouldn't be able to work without requiring sponsorship "indefinitely". Should I answer yes or no?

Thank you!
    As it states indefinitely, I would say no.

Reactions: lawstudent0303

FutureLawyer99

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 28, 2021
    @Jessica Booker @AvniD I have a written exercise coming up. I was wondering if you have any advice? I struggle with structuring my work in a way that lawyers would write their written emails or reports. I use sub-headings and in past assessment centres, I have been advised to use bullet points as well. Previously, I have used the SWOT or PESTLE analysis as my sub-headings. Would you recommend structuring my response by bullet pointing my advice summary in the beginning and then using the case study questions as my subheadings?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker @AvniD I have a written exercise coming up. I was wondering if you have any advice? I struggle with structuring my work in a way that lawyers would write their written emails or reports. I use sub-headings and in past assessment centres, I have been advised to use bullet points as well. Previously, I have used the SWOT or PESTLE analysis as my sub-headings. Would you recommend structuring my response by bullet pointing my advice summary in the beginning and then using the case study questions as my subheadings?
    It is important not to think too rigidly with these things before you see the assessment.

How you would approach one written exercise could be completely different to the next, depending on the task you have been given and the audience you are writing for.

The use of heading/subheading is generally a good approach to take though - it will help break down the component parts of whatever you are writing. You may also want to use something like an executive summary. Depending on the exercise's nature, you may want to also include any action points that need to be taken. PESTLE and SWOT won't always be needed in these exercises, it maybe the component parts are actually the elements within the exercise and that its more about structuring or prioritising them.

These exercises are purposely designed to be tight on time and so you will need to priortise your analysis and writing to reflect the most important aspects in the written exercise.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.