TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

mustardcustard

• Sep 10, 2021
    Dear @Jessica Booker (or anyone else who might be able to help :)), I have a question about SJT-type interview questions (e.g. in A&O's interview).

Even though the question is hypothetical, is it encouraged to pepper your answer with how you have handled such an issue in real life to make the answer more powerful, or should I do so only if they ask whether I have encountered a similar issue as a follow-up question?

So for example, if the question is:
    • If your colleague was slacking at work because of personal issues that they didn’t want to share with their boss, what would you do?
    Would it be better to only address the question in hypothetical terms or can I also discuss the fact that, for example, I had a personal experience working in a team where person A alienated person B (the slacker) by being too direct and confrontational about person B's slacking, so one should take care to bring the issue up with the slacker in a diplomatic way?

mustardcustard

• Sep 10, 2021
    Was planning on doing my Simmons & Simmons application this weekend but just read somewhere that they fill on a first-come, first-served basis and they close on the 15th, is there still point applying or should I focus my attention on a different application instead?
    I used to think that there's no point applying to rolling firms so close to the deadline, but I recently received an AC invite from a MC firm even though I applied a few days before the deadline, so now I would definitely encourage anyone to go for it.

law23

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    I used to think that there's no point applying to rolling firms so close to the deadline, but I recently received an AC invite from a MC firm even though I applied a few days before the deadline, so now I would definitely encourage anyone to go for it.
    I second this. Unless you have other commitments, there is absolutely no harm in applying.

Reactions: sibs23

NbyN

Standard Member
    Oct 20, 2022
    Dear @Jessica Booker (or anyone else who might be able to help :)), I have a question about SJT-type interview questions (e.g. in A&O's interview).

Even though the question is hypothetical, is it encouraged to pepper your answer with how you have handled such an issue in real life to make the answer more powerful, or should I do so only if they ask whether I have encountered a similar issue as a follow-up question?

So for example, if the question is:
    • If your colleague was slacking at work because of personal issues that they didn’t want to share with their boss, what would you do?
    Would it be better to only address the question in hypothetical terms or can I also discuss the fact that, for example, I had a personal experience working in a team where person A alienated person B (the slacker) by being too direct and confrontational about person B's slacking, so one should take care to bring the issue up with the slacker in a diplomatic way?
    I did their interview and keeping it hypothetical is best whilst being quite structured e.g first I’d do this and then this etc. They’ll then ask you a competency Q in relation to that scenario at the end so you’ll have the opportunity to showcase experience

Reactions: average_jo123

Lawstudent**

Star Member
  • Aug 27, 2022
    It focuses on the firm quite heavily - so make sure you know why the firm and why YOU want to work there. Have a good idea of the kind of work the firm does. It also asks you about your strengths - so be ready to talk about what skills you have, times you have overcome difficulty etc. It's only 3 questions, I would just plan bullet points of things you can talk about rather than plan out long answers, so you can look back at the bullet points during your planning 60 seconds and see if it sparks anything useful. VIs are very daunting so just keep calm and speak clearly.
    Hey,

What structure would you recommend using?

Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.