TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
I think I am not gonna pass the VI stage at all :( I did the Clyde & Co VI today and I really messed it up. I am desperate regarding this. Any thoughts, please of how to succeed at this stage? (My problem is I panic as soon as I miss the answer and get stressed about the timing count-down).
Has anyone had a similar situation but made it later?

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
I think I am not gonna pass the VI stage at all :( I did the Clyde & Co VI today and I really messed it up. I am desperate regarding this. Any thoughts, please of how to succeed at this stage? (My problem is I panic as soon as I miss the answer and get stressed about the timing count-down).
Has anyone had a similar situation but made it later?
I would suggest doing a video interview with TCLA to practice!

General tips are to prepare for the four categories of questions that come up:

(1) competencies, which often are asked as a scenario. Scenarios are often posed in the professional context and so if you've done SJTs, they're quite similar to those and can be prepared for;

(2) motivational (to this career);

(3) commercial awareness (a recent deal or why our firm compared to our competitors);

(4) strengths based (what do you enjoy doing).

Rule of thumb with video interviews is to prepare 2 key points and a backup point. Each key point, be prepared to speak for about 40 seconds. Remember to end each point by aligning with the firm, especially for (2) and (3). For scenario based questions, it helps a lot to summarise as your response may get long after introducing various elements.

I really recommend using photobooth or some other video recording function on your laptop or phone to practice so that you get used to presenting in front of a camera. Key things to watch out for: not looking straight at the camera; verbal and physical presentation (for me, when I get nervous i use a lot of "likes" and for others, its a blinking twich); and long delivery (with this, I mean generally lack of conciseness and that can be addressed through practice and adopting effective ways the next time to say a certain sentence if you know its an area you get stuck on)

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    Hi guys! Does anyone have any advice for Dechert, Willkie or Baker McKenzie for the VI, would be much appreciated! 🤞 I have never done a TI before so any help would be fantastic. If you would prefer to direct message me, then please do :)

Reactions: F99

law23

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    Hmm interesting 🤔 I did my WG on the 18th Dec. Haven't heard back.
    I'm usually very good with WG so I would presume it was something to do with my application itself - my commercial awareness question was not as strong as I would have liked it to be and something I have improved on in subsequent applications!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Uvaia

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    I would suggest doing a video interview with TCLA to practice!

General tips are to prepare for the four categories of questions that come up:

(1) competencies, which often are asked as a scenario. Scenarios are often posed in the professional context and so if you've done SJTs, they're quite similar to those and can be prepared for;

(2) motivational (to this career);

(3) commercial awareness (a recent deal or why our firm compared to our competitors);

(4) strengths based (what do you enjoy doing).

Rule of thumb with video interviews is to prepare 2 key points and a backup point. Each key point, be prepared to speak for about 40 seconds. Remember to end each point by aligning with the firm, especially for (2) and (3). For scenario based questions, it helps a lot to summarise as your response may get long after introducing various elements.

I really recommend using photobooth or some other video recording function on your laptop or phone to practice so that you get used to presenting in front of a camera. Key things to watch out for: not looking straight at the camera; verbal and physical presentation (for me, when I get nervous i use a lot of "likes" and for others, its a blinking twich); and long delivery (with this, I mean generally lack of conciseness and that can be addressed through practice and adopting effective ways the next time to say a certain sentence if you know its an area you get stuck on)
    Thanks for your explanation. It really helps.

• 🤝
    Reactions: futuretrainee202X
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.