TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    When asked about a commercial story, is it better to go for something well-known, or to go for something more niche?
    IMO, go for something well known and find your own analysis/thought process on it. I think that going niche is cool and all, but maybe it wouldn't really impact the firm in question. I've often been asked the question: Tell me about a recent commerical trend or topic, and then the follow up question is: how does this relate to XYZ practice groups or our core fee earning groups.

TBH I'd prepare both something general (ex: long term covid effects + war in russia = ECM dealflow gone to sh*t) and maybe something niche you passionate about (ex: microchip/silicon carbide shortage --> EV car manufacturers having trouble keeping up with demand and with the looming conflict between China and Taiwan, new companies are being set up in the US + Europe = M&A, real estate, litigation (when contractual obligations aren't fulfilled)).

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    IMO, go for something well known and find your own analysis/thought process on it. I think that going niche is cool and all, but maybe it wouldn't really impact the firm in question. I've often been asked the question: Tell me about a recent commerical trend or topic, and then the follow up question is: how does this relate to XYZ practice groups or our core fee earning groups.

TBH I'd prepare both something general (ex: long term covid effects + war in russia = ECM dealflow gone to sh*t) and maybe something niche you passionate about (ex: microchip/silicon carbide shortage --> EV car manufacturers having trouble keeping up with demand and with the looming conflict between China and Taiwan, new companies are being set up in the US + Europe = M&A, real estate, litigation (when contractual obligations aren't fulfilled)).
    Also if you going into something niche, for example the methods used to value companies are currently overvaluing them and therefore upon IPO their value drops. You could fall on an expert/someone who's really into that and they could press you with more questions just to see if you actually have knowledge or just know how to summarise a FT article 🤣

Harrison.jm

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 25, 2022
    When asked about a commercial story, is it better to go for something well-known, or to go for something more niche?
    anything you want. the main aspect is that you are able to convey your points succinctly. Essentially, imagine giving someone with no knowledge of the subject an explainer. Go for an area that you are interested in, but keep in mind that you should be able to tie it back towards the firm. Therefore, if the firm you are applying for has strengths in Oil & Gas FE, a story in that industry is a good shout etc. Still, if you are very comfortable with commercial topics, I think you can bring anything to the table which demonstrates your knowledge of the markets.

WAL007

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 19, 2022
    Hi guys.
    Not sure if this fully appropriate but do you guys have any recommendations of websites that offer free AC case study practise and resources of a similar sort?
    as much as I’d love to, I simply cannot afford £40 for the TCLA resources even though I know they’re really really good.

any help is appreciated!!
    Hi there,

There are some practice case studies on LSE website that you can use. Click the following link to access these: https://info.lse.ac.uk/current-stud...cles/legal-case-studies-and-written-exercises

all the best

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022

Also if you going into something niche, for example the methods used to value companies are currently overvaluing them and therefore upon IPO their value drops. You could fall on an expert/someone who's really into that and they could press you with more questions just to see if you actually have knowledge or just know how to summarise a FT article 🤣

anything you want. the main aspect is that you are able to convey your points succinctly. Essentially, imagine giving someone with no knowledge of the subject an explainer. Go for an area that you are interested in, but keep in mind that you should be able to tie it back towards the firm. Therefore, if the firm you are applying for has strengths in Oil & Gas FE, a story in that industry is a good shout etc. Still, if you are very comfortable with commercial topics, I think you can bring anything to the table which demonstrates your knowledge of the markets.

Go with something you are interested in, that you will be able to discuss, and relates to the firm and its clients
    Thank you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.