TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2022
Another sob story from yours truly: I have not slept in two days and if I fail at this I will have to join my uncle in his corrupt hotelier commerce practices
You will get there eventually. Just keep applying! I know we all want TCs asap, but at the end of the day its not a race. If we really wanna be solicitors we will qualify regardless of how long it takes, we just gotta keep applying and trying our best.

Its okay to work different jobs whilst you're applying for TCs too, every experience is valuable and gives you so many transferable skills. Plus now there's the SQE route available too, so there's even more routes for qualification. Don't let the PFOs get you down, they suck but they're always good learning experiences on how to improve for the next app and can be lowkey motivating if you use it a fuel to apply to firm's competitors and show them what they're missing by becoming the best trainee 💁🏻‍♀️

Seabird15

Star Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 15, 2021
I was wondering if anyone could guide me on something, @Jessica Booker not sure if you have any tips. I have an interview coming up with a MC firm and I know that they tend to ask about previous vac schemes and occasionally ask why you didn’t manage to convert. The problem is that I did a vac scheme in winter with a US firm and have been placed on their ‘holding list’ for a TC until March (so I didn’t get a formal offer, but I haven’t been rejected either). Should I be honest about this if they do ask? I’m conscious of making it look like I’m still holding out for an offer from the US firm so the MC firm is my second choice, which of course would probably land me a rejection from the MC firm! Thanks in advance!

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    I was wondering if anyone could guide me on something, @Jessica Booker not sure if you have any tips. I have an interview coming up with a MC firm and I know that they tend to ask about previous vac schemes and occasionally ask why you didn’t manage to convert. The problem is that I did a vac scheme in winter with a US firm and have been placed on their ‘holding list’ for a TC until March (so I didn’t get a formal offer, but I haven’t been rejected either). Should I be honest about this if they do ask? I’m conscious of making it look like I’m still holding out for an offer from the US firm so the MC firm is my second choice, which of course would probably land me a rejection from the MC firm! Thanks in advance!
    You should definitely be honest with them. They know that you are looking for TCs and if they think another firm wants you, they may try to snap yo u up before the US firm has a chance to make an offer. Either way, I think it's unlikely to be a cause for rejection if you are capable of gaining a TC at the MC firm.

D

Deleted member 24543

Is it bad that I was honest with a (magic circle) firm’s graduate recruitment that I needed to reschedule my AC because I had another AC? I tried to frame my email in a way that sounded like I have attempted to reschedule the other AC but it couldn’t be rescheduled. I keep overthinking and in my mind I feel as though I’ve maybe ruined their impression of me or made them think “oh you want to reschedule OUR AC?” Especially because it’s an MC firm, I didn’t want it to come off like they were a second choice…

There are “age old reasons” that people use like I’m sick, I have an exam, but I didn’t wanna be one of those people who’d then be caught out in a lie, and I thought being honest would’ve been the best way but everyone’s telling me I shouldn’t have told them I had another AC on the same day… @Jessica Booker any thoughts on this? :(
    @j.s.cox just saw your reply above and thought it might also be relevant to my situation! any thoughts on this?

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Is it bad that I was honest with a (magic circle) firm’s graduate recruitment that I needed to reschedule my AC because I had another AC? I tried to frame my email in a way that sounded like I have attempted to reschedule the other AC but it couldn’t be rescheduled. I keep overthinking and in my mind I feel as though I’ve maybe ruined their impression of me or made them think “oh you want to reschedule OUR AC?” Especially because it’s an MC firm, I didn’t want it to come off like they were a second choice…

There are “age old reasons” that people use like I’m sick, I have an exam, but I didn’t wanna be one of those people who’d then be caught out in a lie, and I thought being honest would’ve been the best way but everyone’s telling me I shouldn’t have told them I had another AC on the same day… @Jessica Booker any thoughts on this? :(
    I'm pretty sure they will have come across people in this situation before. I think I've seen @Jessica Booker say before that they will generally have a standard response for whether this is a possibility. I doubt they will hold it against you though.

I think this is the standard case of overthinking something small (we are all guilty of this so don't worry about it!). Worst thing they can say to you is that they can't rearrange the AC and you will have to decide which AC to attend.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022

There is a talent war, if they want u they aren’t gonna get offended and not interview u because of something trivial like that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.