TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any tips for the article part of the Slaughters interview? I know that they usually get an opinion piece from the times, guardian, or FT, but if anyone has any useful resources on how I should go about preparing for these and analysing the articles, that would be very helpful.

Hi Jack - I did this interview for the TC last year. I think one of the best tips I’ve heard is, for each topic (e.g., ESG, Big Tech, etc.), to read a selection of articles from a variety of sources such as the Times, Guardian, Observer, etc.

This should help you to understand and formulate different opinions. I’d also recommend summarising the articles and presenting these summaries out loud.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: mdoeslaw

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
Does anyone have any tips for the article part of the Slaughters interview? I know that they usually get an opinion piece from the times, guardian, or FT, but if anyone has any useful resources on how I should go about preparing for these and analysing the articles, that would be very helpful.
They'll always play devil's advocate and find weaknesses in your argument. They're mostly looking for how well you articulate yourself especially in defending your viewpoint, i.e. don't always immediately agree with them if they disagree with you because it makes you sound less convincing. obvs know when to concede if you start waffling

imdeded

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2022
Does anybody know if Kirkland's AC involves an interview on the day or do you get invited to a separate final partner interview after AC? I've heard conflicting sources so would appreciate any insight!

Abb333yyy

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2020
Anyone got any tips for Slaughter and May Interview, I've got it next week. Would be very much appreciated.
In my TC interview I was asked about things on my CV such as academics, my work experience, why I had chosen certain modules and random questions like what were the five remedies for a breach of contract. I also had to read through a newspaper article before and discuss it with one of the partners. I felt challenged in an encouraging way and found the discussion very interesting. Also make sure to ask insightful questions at the end but also build on what you've discussed. I asked very basic questions that I'd prepped beforehand and felt kind of stupid asking them after having such an in-depth discussion about the energy sector and who was responsible for its shift to more eco friendly policies. Most of all enjoy it and try and feel relatively at ease. My positive feedback was that I came across very personable and engaging. Good luck!

Reactions: mdoeslaw

mdoeslaw

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 9, 2023
    In my TC interview I was asked about things on my CV such as academics, my work experience, why I had chosen certain modules and random questions like what were the five remedies for a breach of contract. I also had to read through a newspaper article before and discuss it with one of the partners. I felt challenged in an encouraging way and found the discussion very interesting. Also make sure to ask insightful questions at the end but also build on what you've discussed. I asked very basic questions that I'd prepped beforehand and felt kind of stupid asking them after having such an in-depth discussion about the energy sector and who was responsible for its shift to more eco friendly policies. Most of all enjoy it and try and feel relatively at ease. My positive feedback was that I came across very personable and engaging. Good luck!
    do you remember what topic the article was based around?

Seabird15

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2021
    Can anybody recommend any virtual events/workshops they've attended which you feel has helped with your applications, both in terms of how to make them stand out but also, to add to the "detail any events you've attended" section? Alternatively any in-person events that were really useful?TIA!

any Bright Network workshops or events, they’ve really helped me (although I know some people who say it hasn’t for them). I did both banking + commercial law, which helped me to explain why I ended up landing on commercial law

legal cheek runs a few events! I usually just turn my email notifications on and sign up for ones that interest me. They’ve been more helpful for explaining terms rather than showing interest in a firm, but if you can show interest in their practice areas, that translates well for the firm also.

in the detail any events bit, sometimes I even include commercial awareness podcasts, sometimes ones that have included different people from law firms. I feel this has helped alot.

Reactions: newtothis

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey everyone,

Next Monday between 2:30pm and 7:30pm, I'll be running free 45 minute mock interviews with five candidates.

It'll be pretty hard as I'll try to simulate a law firm interview the best I can. I'll use the last 10 minutes to give you feedback on how to improve your interview performance.

I'm running these as I'm trying to better understand the biggest pain points facing candidates in law firm interviews ahead of our first cohort of the TCLA Academy (w/c 6 February). I realise the best way to do this is to carry out a series of mock interviews and see it first hand.

To enter, simply complete this form and five people will be selected: https://lnkd.in/eDyz8jFQ.

You can select a competency or case study interview, as you prefer.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    do you remember what topic the article was based around?
    Just a reminder that we ask that the TCLA community does not share specific information in the forums about things like case studies/article interviews.

This specific information can often undermine the firm's recruitment processes where candidates are more informed on what topic to prepare for.

Here is a reminder of what we deem is ok to share and what we would request is not shared. You can find the full terms of the forum here: (1) Terms and rules | The Corporate Law Academy Forum

1674641269578.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.