TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020
For competency questions, does anyone know whether you should use multiple examples of the competency (e.g., 3 x STAR), or should you just focus on developing one example well?
I would say have at least two examples for each competency. Because interviewers can ask about one specific competency in difficult ways. E.g. tell me about a time when you’ve successfully worked in a team and then ask tell me about a time when you worked in a team and you had a disruptive team member.

babylawyer2023

Jan 31, 2023
@Jessica Booker Hello what would be your advice on applications where people have been called for ACs already and I haven't even heard about first stage VI yet? Would you assume it is a rejection? I've seen people hearing back within a few days and it's nearly been a month for me. Thank you for your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hello what would be your advice on applications where people have been called for ACs already and I haven't even heard about first stage VI yet? Would you assume it is a rejection? I've seen people hearing back within a few days and it's nearly been a month for me. Thank you for your help!
I don't think you can assume it is a rejection - there are a whole host of reasons why someone might have been invited more quickly than you have. I would try to sit it out and wait for a decision from them, but if you are concerned, you could always email and ask for an update on the status of your application.

Reactions: babylawyer2023

K2002

Premium Member
Jun 4, 2022
IDK because I've seen people on this forum get invited to the next stage. But I guess I should be patient, I attended their open day so thought it was very strange they'd just ghost me without giving me a definitive answer
oh idk then because I was waitlisted from winter so have completed all of the stages

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In technical case studies, are law and non-law students/graduates generally held to the same standards? @Jessica Booker any thoughts would be amazing!
No - they will be "graded" in the same way, but a non-law undergraduate who has never worked in law or studied it will not be expected to have the same level of knowledge as a LLM graduate who has worked in a law firm for several years. The questions you will be asked and how you will be asked it will be adapted, and it is likely that the non-law undergraduate will be asked questions in a way that assesses more of the commercial knowledge rather than the technicalities of the law (very few case studies fixate on the technicalities of the law so wouldn't require you to have worked or studied in the subject/sector though).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.