TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Busy 2 days on the application front, DLA PFO, disappointing interviews with Withers & SPB but Addleshaw Goddard VS offer!! 😍 Keep motivated through the setbacks everyone, under 2 weeks ago I thought a PFO was definitely coming from AG but you never know whats round the corner!
    Woww, congratulations on your VS offer 🥳🥳🥳🥳🤍

Reactions: LJ

Law342535

Feb 6, 2023
    Can anyone help me with differentiating Sullivan & Cromwell from other US/MC firms. My initial thoughts have been their more multi-disciplinary approach, very small intake, and relationships with high-end clientele. Does anyone have any other things to add perhaps?

patternteddybear

Esteemed Member
    Jan 4, 2023
    I know they definitely had more dates coming up for sure, not sure which dates and offices though. I heard fairly short notice for it though so definitely not over yet! Which office have you applied for?
    hey! congratulations for your offer of a vacation scheme from addleshaw goddard :) that’s amazing news! i applied to the manchester office and haven’t yet heard back from my VI. would you mind possibly saying which office you applied for? and how long you were given between hearing back from the VI and being offered an AC? thank you so much and well done again :)

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    hey!

Waiting on hearing back from quite a lot of firms post app from a little while ago … shall I take it as PFO as I feel like most have sent out VI/AC invites already, or are these still sending atm? If you haven’t heard back from any of these either / know if they’re still sending out invites do lmk 😌😌

- Shearman
    - White & Case
    - Covington
    - Vinson & E
    - Latham (post test)
    - Debevoise

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, would you mind explaining the percentile system? That would be very helpful, thanks!
    You complete the assessment and are given a raw score. This is not necessarily just getting something like 25 out of 30 questions correct though. The raw score will include any weighting on specific questions or any systems like negative scoring. It may even include a calculation on how long it took you to complete the assessment

Your raw score is the placed in a ranking based on the order of performance against the raw scores from a sample of people who have also completed the test. Those with the lowest raw scores will be at the bottom of the rankings and the highest raw scores at the top.

Your result could be compared to your fellow applicants, current trainees, or possibly even senior leaders within the firm. These are called “norm groups”. It is not unknown for you to be compared and ranked against a norm group who are people who have been educated up to GCSE level though, although the most common norm groups are “general graduate” norm groups, a previous recruitment cycle’s applicants, or sometimes a “law graduate” norm group.

So if you perform better than the average applicant in the norm group, you’ll get a high percentile ranking. But at the same time you could technically get the majority of the questions correct and have a high raw score but still get a low percentile ranking if the vast majority of people in the norm group had a higher raw score than you.

Let’s use the below image as an example of a norm group and we are looking at Robin, Robin would have an 80th percentile ranking in this situation, despite only scoring 61.

09CFB4A1-D381-46EF-B026-D7A94B1C8EE2.jpeg

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

N_16

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 11, 2022
    anyone else not heard back yet from WC post-app?
    I applied in October for the winter vac scheme and never heard back! The portal hasn't been updated either. Not sure whether there is any point following up - I didn't email earlier because I heard somewhere that they might consider you for spring/summer if you haven't heard back but there's no way it isn't a rejection at this point!

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    hey!

Waiting on hearing back from quite a lot of firms post app from a little while ago … shall I take it as PFO as I feel like most have sent out VI/AC invites already, or are these still sending atm? If you haven’t heard back from any of these either / know if they’re still sending out invites do lmk 😌😌

- Shearman
    - White & Case
    - Covington
    - Vinson & E
    - Latham (post test)
    - Debevoise
    Heya!

I'm waiting on Shearman, W&C, Vinson, and Latham!

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    No set precedent here - could be a with-held number just due to their phone system, a landline number or a mobile number.

One of my major pieces of advice for anyone waiting for outcomes from interviews is to set up voicemail! They will leave a message but a crazy number of people have no ability to leave a voicemail message.
    thank you so much, i didnt even consider whether i had voicemail set up :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.