TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law Student

Distinguished Member
Dec 20, 2022
I have a question about SJTs. People always advise to be ourselves and put our honest answers. But, how are we expected to do this if the firm is obviously looking for a certain answer? For example, if the question asks "how would we react to last minute changes" and the two answer choices were "fear of failure" or "excited because we love to adapt", it is obvious that the firm will want us to be adaptable, even if the honest answer is that we are scared of failing.

Is this the wrong mindset to have? I'm not sure what to do in SJTs.

Kelly_

Distinguished Member
Nov 9, 2020
I've been invited to the Debevoise Open Day (AC for VS), I've never done anything like this so would really appreciate if anyone has any advice or if they have experienced the Debevoise Open Day before? There is a case study and an interview. Any advice/tips would be really appreciated!

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    I have a question about SJTs. People always advise to be ourselves and put our honest answers. But, how are we expected to do this if the firm is obviously looking for a certain answer? For example, if the question asks "how would we react to last minute changes" and the two answer choices were "fear of failure" or "excited because we love to adapt", it is obvious that the firm will want us to be adaptable, even if the honest answer is that we are scared of failing.

Is this the wrong mindset to have? I'm not sure what to do in SJTs.
    would choose neutral option here..

Reactions: Law Student

rayemuse

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    (sorry for the long post)

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could offer any advice on how I can keep on top of commercial news?
    I've always struggled with this area, I look at a news website like FT and get overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff that's on there and never know where and what to read.
    I've realised that listening to news briefings while walking to my lectures is more helpful for me, but they are at the end of the day just briefings. For example, I just read the above post about the Disney CEO shuffle - I knew that Bob Chapek had been appointed CEO (because I listened to a news briefing), but I didn't know about anything that had happened after that

How do I effectively ensure that I have deeper knowledge of this stuff?
    If you don’t mind paying a bit each month, I found that subscribing to Watson Daily + attending their monthly roundup calls really helped me. I subscribed to FT and their first daily thing but I found that FT is really long and can be hard to read, so WD works better for me 😄 And WD has a podcast if you have Spotify that does like news roundups.

Reactions: Bubbles

bhbuygu

Valued Member
  • Dec 23, 2022
    Writing an answer to: 'Tell us about a challenge you have overcome that showcases your ambition and drive.'

Does anyone have any advice about potential areas to focus on or to stay away from? I've never answered a question like this before on an application.

Thank :)
    I’d just use a genuine example because they might push you on this at an interview. Also I’d refrain from using any examples from university eg exams were challenging (everyone goes through this!) Also what firm was this for?

Last edited:
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Estupiña Colada
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.