TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADKM

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2022
So much respect for everyone on this thread. Honestly don’t know how you all do it.
Yesterday was one of those days. Two PFOs, busy all day but felt like nothing achieved, dealing with difficult individuals for the renovations…
As someone just coming to terms with being neurodiverse and pushing to get help for it, I’m still struggling with major highs and major lows emotionally. That in itself is even more frustrating because, logically, I know it doesn’t matter and my time will come, so then I get cross that I feel so upset about it. But my word those feelings are intense. The feeling of being a total failure, that I’ll never be good enough and how stupid I was to think I’d be considered in the first place.
I hope you don’t mind me sharing this. I’m a ‘heart of my sleeve’ kinda girl and needed to share with those who might understand, but also say how much respect I’ve got for all of you who have the resilience to plough on cycle after cycle. You rock!

Does anyone know any private 1-2-1 mentors who can help with the whole app process? I’m going down the route of TCLA and Aspiring Solicitors (although a previous bad experience there makes me nervous) but I wonder if I’d benefit from an alternative method of support.

Any help would be wonderful. So overwhelmed and struggling right now. Wish more than anything I didn’t get in such a pickle and that this shadow called ADHD had been identified and dealt with years ago. 😢
Hi @Tattyasha, I must say you are very brave to share your story and your life experiences. I understand applying for a training contract is a nerve wracking process, it will take time but you will eventually get there. Don’t worry and take care of yourself. If I can share one advice that helps me to calm myself down is I listen to music a lot when I feel lonely or when I’m not in an enterprising mood. Listening to music gives me that fresh boost and helps me forget the rejections/any negative feeling I might have felt before that, you can try doing this, listen to your favourite artists and just forget the struggles of job applications and the corporate web, it will freshen up your mind. Finally, as for mentoring, did you receive an email from TCLA (I got one from @Maria d'Orey about being paired up with a mentor). I think this is a new initiative from TCLA, you should check this out. I pray that you achieve your dreams soon!

Uvaia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2022
    Hi @Tattyasha, I must say you are very brave to share your story and your life experiences. I understand applying for a training contract is a nerve wracking process, it will take time but you will eventually get there. Don’t worry and take care of yourself. If I can share one advice that helps me to calm myself down is I listen to music a lot when I feel lonely or when I’m not in an enterprising mood. Listening to music gives me that fresh boost and helps me forget the rejections/any negative feeling I might have felt before that, you can try doing this, listen to your favourite artists and just forget the struggles of job applications and the corporate web, it will freshen up your mind. Finally, as for mentoring, did you receive an email from TCLA (I got one from @Maria d'Orey about being paired up with a mentor). I think this is a new initiative from TCLA, you should check this out. I pray that you achieve your dreams soon!
    What is this TCLA mentorship programme? 😊

LawInTheNorth

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2022
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, just a quick question, my application for the Spring VS with Linklaters is still on hold and has been since early December. With others seemingly having had ACs already is it best I leave it till the end of this month or email and ask for an update? The scheme starts early April.

Reactions: shanialaw

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is there a way I can ask to be considered for a direct tc application when I applied for a vacation scheme? Really enjoying where I am currently working and thinking it will be difficult to get time off
    You can definitely ask. The worst that will happen if the firm will say no.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    (sorry for the long post)

Hey guys, I was wondering if someone could offer any advice on how I can keep on top of commercial news?
    I've always struggled with this area, I look at a news website like FT and get overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff that's on there and never know where and what to read.
    I've realised that listening to news briefings while walking to my lectures is more helpful for me, but they are at the end of the day just briefings. For example, I just read the above post about the Disney CEO shuffle - I knew that Bob Chapek had been appointed CEO (because I listened to a news briefing), but I didn't know about anything that had happened after that

How do I effectively ensure that I have deeper knowledge of this stuff?
    Don’t read everything - just follows stories you naturally gravitate to. And when you read something you are not sure about (a bit of terminology/jargon), take the time to read up on it to ensure you learn.

Finally every now and then analyse the story - don’t just read it, makes notes on it that analyses why it happened/who was impacted/what were the consequences etc.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys,
    Does anyone know what to expect from Reed Smith’s case study interview and trainee in-tray interviews?
    Also does anyone know if there will be group exercises?
    @Jessica Booker would you know of any relevant resources to prep for these interviews accordingly?
    Thanks in advance 😊
    I see you are a premium member - I would recommend out case study course on the e-learning platform.

Here is some advice on e-tray exercises too:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For the question "Give an example of where you have taken responsibility for others - describe the situation and your contribution.", can someone advise on what it might want in terms of the taking responsibility for others? @Jessica Booker any insight you have would be amazing :)
    Any environment where you have worked in a team and had responsibility in part for keeping the team going. It’s doesn’t necessarily need to be a leadership role.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, just a quick question, my application for the Spring VS with Linklaters is still on hold and has been since early December. With others seemingly having had ACs already is it best I leave it till the end of this month or email and ask for an update? The scheme starts early April.
    It will be fine to contact them now given the scheme is less than 6 weeks away.

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    I have a question about SJTs. People always advise to be ourselves and put our honest answers. But, how are we expected to do this if the firm is obviously looking for a certain answer? For example, if the question asks "how would we react to last minute changes" and the two answer choices were "fear of failure" or "excited because we love to adapt", it is obvious that the firm will want us to be adaptable, even if the honest answer is that we are scared of failing.

Is this the wrong mindset to have? I'm not sure what to do in SJTs.
    Obviously you chose to the answer you think is correct, not what you actually would do (unless they’re the same).

Reactions: Law Student
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.