Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No, not necessarily about the chances - but if they recruit around 50/50, I would rather be rejected at AC for direct route than spend 2 weeks with the firm in the summer and be rejected after that (I work full time and have done schemes before - so not really bothered about scheme experience and am being careful about the time I put in vs the return, especially considering that I would have to take annual leave for the scheme if successful).
You could ask to be transferred to a direct TC, but they may just advise you to reapply.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
The behavioral test is new this year and they are using it alongside the WG as an experiment to see if it is a useful recruiting tool for them. You will be progressed to the next stage if you score highly in the WG, the Arctic Shores behavioural assessment, or both, so don't worry about it.
sweet. Thanks for this information !

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Just tagging @Jessica Booker, in case she has some insight into this regarding an application.

Does anyone know if it's 'Family Law' or 'family law' when you mention a module on an application? Also, does this change or stay the same if it's a practice area that you are talking about?

Petallove1

Legendary Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    has anyone still not heard from CRS spring? I’m assuming it’s a PFO but it’s just feeling like I’ve been ghosted by them when I’ve heard nothing and it’s so soon lol
    I haven't heard anything from them either! I've been thinking the same as I've seen others have VI invites but a lot of them have been direct applications so wasn't too sure

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just tagging @Jessica Booker, in case she has some insight into this regarding an application.

Does anyone know if it's 'Family Law' or 'family law' when you mention a module on an application? Also, does this change or stay the same if it's a practice area that you are talking about?
    It depends on the context and can also depend on individual organisation’s house styles.

Generally though, if you are naming the module or department as a title, then it will be capitalised, but if you are talking about it as a topic it won’t.

For instance:

James works in family law. ✅
    James works in the Family Law department ✅
    Sally enjoyed studying family law ✅
    Sally received a first-class mark in her Family Law module ✅

When reviewing applications, I often Google the firm’s name and the department title and see how it is written on their website in the main body of text (eg not in job titles/headings) to understand how they particularly like to write it. However, this is extremely particular. I don’t think you’d be marked down in an application for incorrect capitalisation/non-capitalisation.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    From what I know it's 50% for the highest tax bracket not the overall salary.. (i.e. anything above 125k is taxed 50%)
    yes you are right but NI + student loan is brutal and results in a high asf effective tax rate. see here - https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php a takehome from 160k + student loan is 83K in 2023.

The change in brackets due to occur in April just makes it even more 21 savage.

Obviously this is still really good money but factor in rent + commuting costs + pension and kirkland NQs are not as rich as it would initially seem.

• Wow
    Reactions: Lord Sumption

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    yes you are right but NI + student loan is brutal and results in a high asf effective tax rate. see here - https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php a takehome from 160k + student loan is 83K in 2023.

The change in brackets due to occur in April just makes it even more 21 savage.

Obviously this is still really good money but factor in rent + commuting costs and kirkland NQs are not as rich as it would initially seem.
    What I wouldn’t do for an after tax salary of £83k ! How the other half live!

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    It depends on the context and can also depend on individual organisation’s house styles.

Generally though, if you are naming the module or department as a title, then it will be capitalised, but if you are talking about it as a topic it won’t.

For instance:

When reviewing applications, I often Google the firm’s name and the department title and see how it is written on their website in the main body of text (eg not in job titles/headings) to understand how they particularly like to write it. However, this is extremely particular. I don’t think you’d be marked down in an application for incorrect capitalisation/non-capitalisation.
    Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    ahahahhahahha obviously this is still insane for someone in their 20s but I think how much you actually end up with compared to the advertised "NQ salary" is crazy
    It’s insane for anyone at any time of life.

Being in the top 1% of earner is an exceptionally privileged position.

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    ahahahhahahha obviously this is still insane for someone in their 20s but I think how much you actually end up with compared to the advertised "NQ salary" is crazy
    You need to think about the bottom line really. Most companies calculate their salary based on the take home pay employees will be earning. So if this fiscal tweak is seen as that much of a sting, across those that are earning top salaries, companies (across sectors) may just increase salaries in light of the change.

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022

For instance:

Just to clarify my understanding, if I was to say I received a first-class grade in Family Law. Would that be correct for a firm that uses 'family law' on its website because I am talking about the title of the module?

Equally, If said 'I received a first-class grade in Family Law' and later said I am interested in CRS' family law seat, would this be seen as an inconsistency?

Thank you in advance!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.