TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highnumberofapplicants

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 18, 2021
    Hi I am looking for some advice. I have just received an AC from a firm I really like. However, I have already accepted a VS from another firm which also was a target firm for me. The two VS clash. I am wondering if I can ask this firm to make this an AC for a Direct TC or would that request get rejected alongside my AC invite altogether. This firm does usually have a healthy intake from Direct TCs

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    Mayer Brown AC invite - does anyone have any advice for it? :) also, does anyone know if this is the final or first stage of the interview process? I assume first because it says this AC consists of a group exercise and fact-find task and doesn't mention any interview.
    Congrats! There will be a final stage partner interview after the AC stage

Reactions: NMA

rosec

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2022
    Just completed my VI with W&C (my 4th VI of this cycle) and I'm getting more frustrated at how badly they're going.

I feel well prepared, research the firm and try and smile/be natural, but they always seem to go wrong. I get flustered, trip over my words, check the timer and have 5 seconds to make a point and regardless of whether the question is good or not, I never have time to articulate what I'm saying.

It's becoming really demotivating as I put plenty of time into researching and writing applications, but getting to a VI is almost pointless at this stage as I just cannot for the life of me get past one.

Any tips? (and sorry for such a negative post :( )
    Tbh I feel the same way, I hate VIs so much😭 but if it makes you feel any better, I remember reading an article on W&C’s website and grad rec themselves said that they’re not necessarily looking at performance but instead the quality of your answers. If you can get across some good points I think that firms may be willing to look past you tripping over your words a little bit, or getting cut off for example. If it makes you feel any better I got cut off on two questions, was definitely waffling, tripped over my words so bad I stopped and said sorry, and I still made it through to interview for a firm (rly exposing myself here 💀).

VIs are tough I know and it’s rly hard to get across everything you want to say/ all of your research in an articulate way, especially with the time pressure. Try not to be disheartened, take each one as a way to practice and hopefully you will get to a point where you feel more comfortable with them. Sorry that this might not be the tips you were looking for, but hopefully it reassures you a little bit. All the best and try not to overthink the ones you’ve already done! :)

rosec

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2022
    Tbh I feel the same way, I hate VIs so much😭 but if it makes you feel any better, I remember reading an article on W&C’s website and grad rec themselves said that they’re not necessarily looking at performance but instead the quality of your answers. If you can get across some good points I think that firms may be willing to look past you tripping over your words a little bit, or getting cut off for example. If it makes you feel any better I got cut off on two questions, was definitely waffling, tripped over my words so bad I stopped and said sorry, and I still made it through to interview for a firm (rly exposing myself here 💀).

VIs are tough I know and it’s rly hard to get across everything you want to say/ all of your research in an articulate way, especially with the time pressure. Try not to be disheartened, take each one as a way to practice and hopefully you will get to a point where you feel more comfortable with them. Sorry that this might not be the tips you were looking for, but hopefully it reassures you a little bit. All the best and try not to overthink the ones you’ve already done! :)
    Here’s the excerpt from W&C

Attachments

• 779E3FBA-3F17-40B7-9986-5E19DD94040A.jpeg
      779E3FBA-3F17-40B7-9986-5E19DD94040A.jpeg
      179.9 KB · Views: 121
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.