TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlCapone

Star Member
Jan 23, 2023
Can anyone shed some light on how long firms usually take to get back to you between final interview and VS outcome??? (confirmation call / rejection email) had the interview a week ago today and literally can't focus on anything else.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can anyone shed some light on how long firms usually take to get back to you between final interview and VS outcome??? (confirmation call / rejection email) had the interview a week ago today and literally can't focus on anything else.
Can be anything from a couple of hours to a few weeks.

If it wasn't mentioned at the interview, contact the firm's HR/Grad Rec team and ask for details of when you should expect to hear back.

Reactions: AlCapone

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In an interview, are you expected to say the STAR format in real life or can you just speak naturally?
You don't have the say "The situation was this, the target was that, my actions were this, the result was that".

Its just a way to create a logical order to what you say (in this very brief/poor version)- "When I was the treasurer of the law society (S), one of my objectives was to raise £3,000 in sponsorship (T). To do this, I create a unique proposal in a video format and sent it to over 60 contacts (A). The outcome was that 10 new potential sponsors contacted me to discuss marketing opportunities, leading to 5 agreeing sponsorship deals and me exceeding my target by 200% (R)"

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica - Is there a risk that asking HR to clarify when you might hear back could be viewed negatively and affect the outcome?
No - the exception was if you were exceptionally rude about it, but that isn't because you are asking, its because of how you are coming across.

Reactions: AlCapone

jessicamcnamara

Esteemed Member
Jan 17, 2022
Completed my Mishcon VI on 12th December, getting bit worried now as I haven’t heard back yet. Should I leave it a bit longer or send an email? I know some AC invites have been sent out 😫

Also, not heard back from Mayer Brown since completing the tests on 28th November but I have applied for a direct TC so I think this might be why..

jennifer

Esteemed Member
Oct 4, 2020
Completed my Mishcon VI on 12th December, getting bit worried now as I haven’t heard back yet. Should I leave it a bit longer or send an email? I know some AC invites have been sent out 😫

Also, not heard back from Mayer Brown since completing the tests on 28th November but I have applied for a direct TC so I think this might be why..
I am in the same position! Do you know if the ACs that were sent out are for spring or summer?

sdsou

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 31, 2021
In a CV-blind interview, is one supposed to avoid referring to their university's name or any identifiable characteristics when talking about themselves/ their experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.