TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKLaw

Star Member
Feb 8, 2023
Yep! Don't be too stressed.

I was late in the game and only started applying late in my 2nd year. Didn't get anything, but tried again this year (final year) and secured two magic circle firm VS.

Take every advantage of any applications for penultimate year insight schemes before you start your third year and go to as many open days as possible. I went to 7 open days from October 2022 - February 2023.

Goodluck!
Hey, I'm a little confused how last year applications work, do you only apply to law firms that hire a year in advance, so that you can join them after doing the sqe or did you also apply to the two year in advance ones?

Reactions: Law Student

commerciallawyer2910

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2022
Mine is nearly ending too, with no VS offers so far :(

Does anyone know what you do if you have not received a VS offer during second year of University? Do you try again third year?
You can (and should) definitely try again. If it makes you feel better, I only decided on commercial law a few days before the main deadlines in December. I had no formal legal experience and managed to secure a magic circle direct TC offer. There is always hope!!

• 🏆
Reactions: Law Student

kmo20

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2023
If since applying to a firm I have secured two periods of legal work experience over the summer should I let their graduate recruitment know? Will it be worth it as it could add something to my application?

H

hollahollaholla

In an upcoming vacation scheme interview, should I mention having secured a spring vacation scheme, or only do so if directly asked (eg "which other Firms have you applied to?")?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
In an upcoming vacation scheme interview, should I mention having secured a spring vacation scheme, or only do so if directly asked (eg "which other Firms have you applied to?")?
Only if it naturally comes up in the conversation. It would be slightly out of place if someone just mentioned this in the middle of a conversation if it wasn’t directly linked to what was already being discussed.

IT7

Esteemed Member
  • Jun 23, 2021
    If an application says it has been successfully submitted, even if it's a few minutes past the deadline, would the application be accepted? The portal accepted the application and I got an email confirming the application was submitted.

[I didn't know about British Summer Time since I live abroad, so I misjudged the timezones and the deadline and submitted a few minutes late :( ]

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    Hi - does anyone have any experience with Arnold & Porter (A+P / AP), be it interview experience or having attended a VS? Any advice/tips would be much appreciated :)
    Hello! Was wondering if anyone had experience with A&P/AP who would be willing to answer a few short Qs I have (my interview is tomorrow).

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Any advice on this would be really appreciated, thank you :)
    Not an expert, but I’d say it’s not worth saying anything unless in an interview you’re asked which other firms you’ve applied to. You haven’t actually completed the work yet, so it’s not like it can add to your motivations/skill set. Also, the firm in question might actually think you’d be less likely to accept a VS/TC with them if you have other options too.

Reactions: kmo20

rosec

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2022
    hi @Jessica Booker and anyone else who may be able to help, I've never had to fill out information for a background check before so I'm not sure but are we expected to fill out every single thing from our CV on there or just the main employment/ experiences? e.g. would it be bad if I left out a couple of old volunteering experiences or even open days?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.