TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

foyles22

Apr 22, 2023
Hey there, this happened in my first application cycle too. I used quite a lot of time during the summer to process the rejections (Honestly it's so hard). But what I can say is really take your time and do not be so hard on yourself. You have done so well in securing two vacation schemes, and you should know that these experiences will significantly boost your chances in the next cycle (If used properly haha). I know it's a cliche but really searching for a TC can be a marathon. Keep running until you reach your goal!

Thank you so much for this, I really appreciate the support :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker - for the question: 'Is there any additional information you would like to disclose for us to consider alongside your application?' Should I write a cover letter or is this purely reserved for practical information?

This is just for anything that naturally hasn't been included in other sections of the application. I wouldn't include the equivalent of a cover letter here, as it sounds like you will have had other questions that cover this elsewhere in the application. It is only if you feel you haven't been asked something or hadn't had the opportunity to present information that is important (e.g. extenuating circumstances/clarifying grades/explanation of safety net policies in your academics during Covid), that you should add it to this section.

• 🤝
Reactions: Estupiña Colada

Estupiña Colada

Feb 3, 2023
This is just for anything that naturally hasn't been included in other sections of the application. I wouldn't include the equivalent of a cover letter here, as it sounds like you will have had other questions that cover this elsewhere in the application. It is only if you feel you haven't been asked something or hadn't had the opportunity to present information that is important (e.g. extenuating circumstances/clarifying grades/explanation of safety net policies in your academics during Covid), that you should add it to this section.
Thanks!

If I don't have any of the things you have listed is leaving it blank acceptable?

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
@Jessica Booker How do you think using an example from a past vac scheme to answer a competency question would go down with interviewers? E.g. teamwork to deliver a group presentation and managing everyone's different schedules. Or should I just stick to 'normal' experiences?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker How do you think using an example from a past vac scheme to answer a competency question would go down with interviewers? E.g. teamwork to deliver a group presentation and managing everyone's different schedules. Or should I just stick to 'normal' experiences?
I personally find vacation scheme examples often a bit bland - they often aren't "real-life" situations (e.g. like a group presentation) or you are not necessarily put under the same pressures as you would in a situation where your actions have real consequences (they rarely do in vacation schemes).

There are obviously exceptions to this - but I think too many people choose vacation scheme examples because they think they will sound good because they are within the confines of a vacation scheme. That isn't the reason to choose a competency answer though. It really has to be the best evidence you have of that competency and therefore if you wouldn't choose the example if it was outside of a vacation scheme, there is no reason to choose it because it was in one.

Reactions: NMA
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.