TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

readylawyer1

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 16, 2021
This might be a silly question, but does anyone know if firms tend to give you a plus on for events during the vac scheme e.g. the firm's big summer party? My partner will be around and I would love for him to go with me.

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
Can anyone share their experiences doing virtual vs in person assessment centre? What were some advantages/disadvantages with each and which did you prefer,
I've done in-person and virtual partner/HR interviews (so not AC's per se, as the firms I got to that stage with didn't have ACs where you're in a group setting though one did involve a pre-prepared presentation) but PM me if you have questions about partner/HR interviews!

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Hi, I'm slightly confused as to what would count as a non-academic achievement at school or university? There is another question asking about positions of responsibility and extra-curricular activities. 🤪

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey, say for a 2025 TC (from a summer VS this year) when does the SQE usually start? Like what month in 2024 generally?
There is no set answer to this due to the variety of the courses available and whether the firm will allow you to start having sat SQE2 but not had the results.

The major issue at the moment is it takes 4-5 months to get your SQE2 results, so if you were starting in September 2025 and needed to have got confirmation of passing the SQE2 assessments, you would have to sit the SQE2 in April 2025, which means you would have to sit SQE1 in July 2024. As there are currently only two SQE1 sittings a year (January & July), the timings are rubbish for law firms' current trainee intake start dates.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I'm slightly confused as to what would count as a non-academic achievement at school or university? There is another question asking about positions of responsibility and extra-curricular activities. 🤪
Achievements are more about the results/output, while the positions of responsibility/extra curriculars are about the input.

Reactions: bibss

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
Hey, say for a 2025 TC (from a summer VS this year) when does the SQE usually start? Like what month in 2024 generally?
If it’s a September 2025 start, you’d start in September 2024. The courses are usually a year long and you do sqe 1 in january and sqe 2 in April. If you are part of city consortium I believe they do sqe 1 in january and sqe 2 in july

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.