TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Hi, have you completed it yet? I was wondering if you have any tips?
    I completed it yesterday. It’s just scenario questions of most likely/least likely and then there are some emails you read and have to decide what the best response is. Some have a numerical element so just reading the information and picking the correct answer.

Then you have 2? video questions (2 minutes to say your answers) and a long case study that you have to answer at the end. Everything is untimed so it’s quite chilled.

You get a feedback report 2 minutes after submitting.

i’d say it’s the same as A&O but with an added case study at the end.

good luck!

Filia

Standard Member
    Jul 5, 2023
    Hi all. Could anyone advise on how to best prep for the Arctic Shores games-based assessment? I’m aware of the jobtestprep subscription which lets you practise the games, but would be grateful for any other suggestions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How common is it to be applying for vacation schemes as a law student in your final year because you couldn't secure a TC as a penultimate? Its hard not to feel inadequate when you're approaching graduation and you know others who managed to get a TC yet its still uncertain for you😅
    It’s common enough - I have seen plenty of people do it with firms they are eligible to apply for.

I’d say recruiters see slightly less third years apply though generally - I suspect where many choose to focus on their studies rather than invest time into the recruitment process. Many people do still go for it though!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    How common is it to be applying for vacation schemes as a law student in your final year because you couldn't secure a TC as a penultimate? Its hard not to feel inadequate when you're approaching graduation and you know others who managed to get a TC yet its still uncertain for you😅
    Unfortunately it is pretty common. Many people I know were final year law students and managed to secure training contracts in their last years. Many others had to do master's degrees before getting their training contract offer, but in the end, if that is your goal, you will succeed in it.

Do not compare yourself to others at this stage. I know this is easier said than done but it will not be productive to you to feel like you should have been set with a signed training contract by the end of your first/second year. This is not the reality for more than half of the people that apply to training contracts and vacation schemes.

Good luck with the process this year!

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    I’ve graduated and am still trying, I think it’s easy to caught up in everyone doing it so young because people around you and those on linkdln let you know about it every 5 minutes, but don’t feel like you are inadequate, everyone has their own journey, average age of qualification is 29, screw everyone else, focus on yourself and you’ll do it.

Last edited:

erderlylars

Star Member
    Nov 12, 2023
    NRF - Pfo
    Travers Smith - Interview
    HL - Waiting following wg
    Akin Gump - Submitted app
    CC - Passed wg
    S&S wvs - Waiting following vi
    A&O - VI pending
    Kirkland - App submitted
    Apps working on cms hsf ashurst links weil dla (Manchester)
    I'm also still waiting to hear back post VI for Simmons. Do you know if they are still running anymore assessment centres? I submitted my few days before the application deadline so I'm hoping this won't work against me

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.