Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, sorry - Why X firm**
There will need an element of you in this answer. By just focusing on what the firm can offer you, you are only telling them firm what it already knows about itself. What they don’t know is why the elements you identify are important/relevant to you.

However, I think a lot of people get quite descriptive of their past experiences to try and make that connection and you generally don’t have to do this and even more so when that evidence might be elsewhere in your application. It can often be the case that a brief reference is sufficient given the detail could be included elsewhere.

Reactions: axelbeugre

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    There will need an element of you in this answer. By just focusing on what the firm can offer you, you are only telling them firm what it already knows about itself. What they don’t know is why the elements you identify are important/relevant to you.

However, I think a lot of people get quite descriptive of their past experiences to try and make that connection and you generally don’t have to do this and even more so when that evidence might be elsewhere in your application. It can often be the case that a brief reference is sufficient given the detail could be included elsewhere.
    Thanks, Jessica! The word limit poses a challenge. I'm considering highlighting three key points and efficiently tying them back to my experience, emphasizing their relevance. As you suggested, the evidence is embedded in my work experience, so I'm leaning towards explaining why I would be a strong candidate rather than delving into a detailed description of my experience. Hope that is okay?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks, Jessica! The word limit poses a challenge. I'm considering highlighting three key points and efficiently tying them back to my experience, emphasizing their relevance. As you suggested, the evidence is embedded in my work experience, so I'm leaning towards explaining why I would be a strong candidate rather than delving into a detailed description of my experience. Hope that is okay?
    You don’t need to explain why you are a strong candidate in this answer.

This question is not about your abilities, it is about your motivation.

Trying to explain your abilities is only needed in a “why you” question.

Reactions: axelbeugre

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    How common is it to be applying for vacation schemes as a law student in your final year because you couldn't secure a TC as a penultimate? Its hard not to feel inadequate when you're approaching graduation and you know others who managed to get a TC yet its still uncertain for you😅
    From what I've seen, it's quite common. As a graduate who attended several ACs, I noticed that most participants were either in their final year of university or had already graduated. Don't let this deter you! Furthermore, many firms I've interacted with offer the chance to begin your TC earlier if you've finished your studies. While this isn't a sure thing, it's definitely an option. This allows you the opportunity to qualify at the same time as those who secured their TC in their second year of university. And if that's not the case, just focus on your path!! :)

pb15

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 23, 2021
    Has anyone got a PFO from either TS or Simmons for the WVS before the AC? Trying to gauge if they just don’t let you know at all for PFOs at that point. I know people have been getting ACs….
    Haven’t heard anything from Simmons for the WVS after doing the VI, I think they’re just gonna send a bunch of PFOs at once

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Holding myself accountable (again):

Willkie Farr & Gallagher ✅📼📝
    Covington & Burling ✅
    Shearman & Sterling ✅
    White & Case ✅📼
    Milbank ✅
    Ropes & Gray ✅
    Arnold & Porter ✅
    Sullivan & Cromwell ✅
    Latham & Watkins ✅
    Kirkland & Ellis ✅
    Skadden Arps ✅
    Vinson & Elkins ✅
    Weil Gotshal & Manges ✅
    Akin ✅
    Gibson Dunn ✅❌
    Goodwin ✅
    Cleary Gottlieb ✅
    Paul Hastings ✅
    Ashurst ✅ 📝❌
    Macfarlanes ✅📝
    Mayer Brown ✅📝
    King & Spalding?
    Winston & Strawn?
    Morgan Lewis ✅
    Fried Frank (1st January)
    Orrick ✅
    Dechert ✅
    Cooley ✅
    Morrison Foerster ✅
    Slaughter and May ✅❌

✅ = application; 📝 = test/written exercise; 📼 = VI, ❌ = PFO.

Three PFOs, but honestly, the excitement you get even just getting an open-day invite or a VI makes it all worthwhile.
    This is very impressive, considering it's not even mid-November yet! Bravo!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.