TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Flutterbyx303

Star Member
Sep 11, 2023
I'm also still waiting to hear back post VI for Simmons. Do you know if they are still running anymore assessment centres? I submitted my few days before the application deadline so I'm hoping this won't work against me
I’m still waiting to hear back post VI and I submitted my application the day before the deadline and my video interview 9 days after receiving the invite (and it said you have up to ten days).

lonelycruise

Esteemed Member
Oct 2, 2023
Unless it specifically asks, do we need to relate the commercial question in applications to the practice strengths of the firm? The firm I'm applying to has a strong focus on restructuring and energy, but my answer relates to life sciences, IP and M&A. Am I fine or should I find a more relevant topic?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Anyone know who the Gibson Dunn cover letter should be addressed to? Also, the CL is quite short (650 words), so do we need to include an introductory sentence/two and sign-off?

@axelbeugre - if I am not mistaken, I read that you completed a GD VS interview. Can you please advise?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Unless it specifically asks, do we need to relate the commercial question in applications to the practice strengths of the firm? The firm I'm applying to has a strong focus on restructuring and energy, but my answer relates to life sciences, IP and M&A. Am I fine or should I find a more relevant topic?
You don’t have to make the specific link in your answer, but I would try to find a topic that is relevant to the firm (you just don’t have to describe why it is so).

If the firm has a life sciences, IP or M&A practice then the story will still be of interest to the firm. You don’t have to always pick a story that relates to their biggest or most renowned practice area.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Anyone know who the Gibson Dunn cover letter should be addressed to? Also, the CL is quite short (650 words), so do we need to include an introductory sentence/two and sign-off?

@axelbeugre - if I am not mistaken, I read that you completed a GD VS interview. Can you please advise?
I would include a welcome and sign off where they explicitly state it’s a cover letter, but you don’t need to include all the formalities like addresses and dates.

I don’t think an introductory sentence or two is ever needed in a cover letter - I just think many people use them as they think they are needed or because of their writing style. However, I’ve seen plenty of cover letters not have them and work just as well (and sometimes better).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.