axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Thanks both!

I'd heard from someone that although they are non-rolling they may still look at the applications received first hence my worry (and last year I applied quite late and I'm scared that this is what disadvantaged me the most).

Would you say applying for the W&C Winter (rolling ddl 11 September 2023 – 15 October 2023) I should be ok applying in the next week?

I saw Jessica Booker mention applying in the first 2/3 of the deadline is the best (but given that the window is only a month I'm not sure if this still applies)?
Hey @Imurph I would say you are very much in a good position applying next week to W&C Winter, do not worry too much about this! Good luck with the application and smash it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks both!

I'd heard from someone that although they are non-rolling they may still look at the applications received first hence my worry (and last year I applied quite late and I'm scared that this is what disadvantaged me the most).

Would you say applying for the W&C Winter (rolling ddl 11 September 2023 – 15 October 2023) I should be ok applying in the next week?

I saw Jessica Booker mention applying in the first 2/3 of the deadline is the best (but given that the window is only a month I'm not sure if this still applies)?
Yes, general rule applies!

Reactions: Tintin06

lmurph

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 13, 2022
Thanks for confirming!

Would you mind confirming if, in your point of view, the question "In 250 words tell us what a commercial lawyer does. (250 words max)" can be limited to what a commercial lawyer does (and not looking for what key attributes, etc. a commercial lawyer needs to possess) ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks for confirming!

Would you mind confirming if, in your point of view, the question "In 250 words tell us what a commercial lawyer does. (250 words max)" can be limited to what a commercial lawyer does (and not looking for what key attributes, etc. a commercial lawyer needs to possess) ?
Yes, definitely - it’s not asking you what makes a good lawyer, just what they do. Think about it more like “what is a lawyer’s purpose?”

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
If a firm asks you
“Describe a current commercial issue that has interested you and explain why it interested you? “ Do we need to write about a topic that relates to the firm’s practices or just show our interest?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If a firm asks you
“Describe a current commercial issue that has interested you and explain why it interested you? “ Do we need to write about a topic that relates to the firm’s practices or just show our interest?
Not explicitly. It is not asking you to do this, but I would make sure the topic you choose would be of interest to either the firm’s lawyers or clients even if you don’t explain why that is the case in your answer.

Reactions: S87

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    i would love to get some advice for mentioning a deal in an application. so I'm in a slight bit of a dilemma because I'm mentioning a deal that I found quite interesting that the firm did in my written application. now I don't know to what extent is that deal picked up and grilled in interviews, as in what should be my approach when researching the deal in even more depth when I make it to the interview stage. what factors should I be considering that I could be quizzed about besides why i mentioned the deal and found it interesting? or is this an avenue i shouldn't go down?

i would love to hear your thoughts as well! @Jessica Booker

livrobertson

Premium Member
    Sep 23, 2023
    I'm currently in the process of filling out the application form for the Hogan Lovells vacation scheme. Once of the questions is asking for me to tell them about something I have done that shows I have an entrepreneurial spirit. What kinds of experiences can I talk about for this question - is it just limited to running some kind of business?

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.