Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is there a list of law firms that sponsor Tier 2 visas?
Hi - just be mindful that the term Tier 2 doesn’t exist anyone and has been replaced with the skilled persons visa. It’s the same thing, but when searching for information you’ll find it easier/more up to date to look for this term.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Bubbles and I’m_Batman

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi Axel,

How did you practice for scenario case studies in interviews? Asking you about legal remedies and how you would advise a client?
Thank you for this question @stone’sthrow. As I was new to the whole style of interviewing from law firms I tried to prepare extensively. I firstly tried to reach out to people on LinkedIn who were future trainee at the firm I had the interview at to have a direct experience of how the interview was and what I was supposed to do. Secondly, I would say it is important to be commercially aware, so I made sure to keep up with the news and link everything I was hearing and reading to law firms' goals and their clients'. Lastly, I would ask my friends who studied law to send me their case study scenario exams or coursework and I tried to read about the laws in question and applied them. Even though I did not have too much knowledge about the law at the time, it was a great exercise to put myself in the position of a legal adviser to clients. I hope this answer helps you and good luck for your future interviews, I am sure you will do amazing!

aleece

Jan 6, 2022
@Jessica Booker I completed a video interview, however I have just realised that my volume on my laptop was off. Does this mean that they will not be able to hear my response? I completed the sound check and it was working fine, but I must have turned off the volume by mistake after the sound check.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I completed a video interview, however I have just realised that my volume on my laptop was off. Does this mean that they will not be able to hear my response? I completed the sound check and it was working fine, but I must have turned off the volume by mistake after the sound check.
Most likely not as it would need to be your microphone that was off rather than your volume. If the sound check worked fine, I wouldn’t worry about this.

davinap99

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 29, 2023
How important are PGDL grades? I recently attained a mid-commendation but got 50s in four modules (most notably contract). The rest of my academics are strong though (A-Levels and RG university).

I also had this issue after my PGDL. I really don’t think it matters that much but as Jessica said, each firms will have their own perspectives on it. However, on the whole, I don’t think it matters too much. I ended up getting a mid-low commendation in my PGDL and now I have a TC with a top international law firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica. Do you think it is OK to have a few notes written for the VI and be able to glance at them? Would this be expected?
My advice is to write any “notes” on post it notes and in key word format rather than full sentences.

Stick them behind your laptop so you are looking towards the camera still and then you can see them without looking down.

lmurph

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 13, 2022
Hi everyone, just finishing up on my Ashurst and HSF winter VS applications (which took longer than expected!) and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether it is too late to apply?

The deadlines are next week so I'm torn between using my applications for summer/spring deadlines instead, if that would give me a better chance..

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
Hi everyone, just finishing up on my Ashurst and HSF winter VS applications (which took longer than expected!) and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether it is too late to apply?

The deadlines are next week so I'm torn between using my applications for summer/spring deadlines instead, if that would give me a better chance..
I think you should apply as they are both non-rolling

Reactions: lmurph

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022

They are both non rolling and have a week or more to go - definitely apply?

lmurph

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 13, 2022
Thanks both!

I'd heard from someone that although they are non-rolling they may still look at the applications received first hence my worry (and last year I applied quite late and I'm scared that this is what disadvantaged me the most).

Would you say applying for the W&C Winter (rolling ddl 11 September 2023 – 15 October 2023) I should be ok applying in the next week?

I saw Jessica Booker mention applying in the first 2/3 of the deadline is the best (but given that the window is only a month I'm not sure if this still applies)?

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.