TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Hala_alaqqad

Standard Member
Aug 26, 2023
How long should a leg cover letter be? My White and Case cover letter is edging 1000 words and my research shows that is way too much. Should it really be just around 500 words? I don't see how that's enough for covering why law, why firm, and why me.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm currently in the process of filling out the application form for the Hogan Lovells vacation scheme. Once of the questions is asking for me to tell them about something I have done that shows I have an entrepreneurial spirit. What kinds of experiences can I talk about for this question - is it just limited to running some kind of business?
This can be anything where you have taken an unconventional/creative route to improving or achieving something.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How long should a leg cover letter be? My White and Case cover letter is edging 1000 words and my research shows that is way too much. Should it really be just around 500 words? I don't see how that's enough for covering why law, why firm, and why me.
750-850 words tends to be the typical word count we see. We see some that are shorter (around 500-600 words) and some that are successful that are close to 1000 words.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
I'm currently in the process of filling out the application form for the Hogan Lovells vacation scheme. Once of the questions is asking for me to tell them about something I have done that shows I have an entrepreneurial spirit. What kinds of experiences can I talk about for this question - is it just limited to running some kind of business?
For this I talked about using Facebook and instagram stories to help with my sideline in finding tutors for agencies and making a referral fee. I talked about how it’s free and utilises writing skills and networking etc.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Does anyone know any firms with straightforward application processes? ie online application and then AC
Arnold & Porter
Covington & Burling
Gibson Dunn
Goodwin Procter
Jones Day
Macfarlanes
Milbank
Ropes & Gray
Skadden
Shearman & Sterling
Slaughter and May
Sullivan & Cromwell
Travers Smith
Willkie Farr & Gallagher

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Managing a full-time job along with these apps can be quite tricky, so I thought I'd go ahead and submit the Ashurst application to take the test over the weekend. But, I haven't received the link yet, and it's honestly a bit of a mess. 😭😭😭
I can imagine your stress but a massive congratulations for having submitted your application and congrats again on being so resilient applying to firms whilst having a full-time job, this is impressive and I am sure it will pay off! @F12M34L Keep up the good work!

• 🏆
Reactions: F12M34L

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
What kind of things should I cover for the question 'Why do you want to attend an open day at Latham & Watkins specifically? 250' ?
I would say it is important to talk about the reasons why the firm attracts you in the first place, whether it is their practice areas, quality of their deals, international opportunities, its lawyers or diversity initiatives. I would make sure to also highlight how attending the open day will help you understand the impact that you could have as a commercial solicitor at the firm. I really hope this helps and good luck with the application! @Tomatosoup

Reactions: Minitomatosalad

gggg

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Hey guys!

Last year i applied for a vs with Dechert and got through the first stage(application form) but not the second. I am applying again and i was wondering if in the application i should fully change my answers or keep the same answers and just make them better, since they got me through last time.

Thankyouu

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.