TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi everyone, for the question "what skills would you bring to the role?" are these good enough ones to talk about:
- ability to grasp new concepts and ideas quickly
- commercial awareness

i just wanted to do something a bit different instead of just saying attention to detail like i always do, but please let me know what you think
Hey @confusedlawstudent,

I think that the first skill is good and perfectly answers the question. I think that if you also talk about it in the context of an example, it will be even better as it will allow you to describe how this skill will link to being a trainee (as it helped you in another role in a professional context).

The second one, as much as I understand why you would mention it, I do not think it should be mentioned in this question specifically. However, I might not get what you mean by commercial awareness:

• Do you mean that knowing about the commercial world will make you a good trainee in the future?
  • Do you think that knowing about all the sectors affecting the legal world will make you a good lawyer?
  • How is commercial awareness going to help you whilst working on a deal?
I think that if you tackle this from the point of explaining how commercial awareness will be beneficial (and if it was beneficial to you in the past), then it would be a good thing to mention!

Good luck with the application!

Reactions: futurelegallyblonde

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Maybe a stupid question here: when we answering the question "why commercial law", do we need to tailor the question specific to the firm?
I would not say so, I think it should be personal to you and your experiences as well as your motivations. I would include a last sentence mentioning how you would like to be a commercial lawyer and you feel like you can be the best at the firm you are applying to, that is what I used to do.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.