axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker

I completed the SJT for Latham's open day and essentially failed the test. My feedback report says my greatest strengths were critical thinking and effective communication, but my weakness was personal responsibility. I'm not entirely sure why I've failed the test though, considering critical thinking and effective communication are two of Latham's desired competencies, unless ofc there is a hierarchy of competency skills and personal responsibility is seen as more desirable.

In my next SJT test, should I just prioritise showing personal responsibility over critical thinking/communication skills as the former seems to have been what let me down?

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this (and also anyone else who has some insight into SJTs)!
I think that situational judgment test are so difficult to gauge. You might think that they failed the test when in fact you passed. I do not think it matters what you get. I remember that for my Latham test, I got commercial awareness and teamwork as my two strengths and I still did not pass the test, despite me thinking those were the perfect things to get for a law firm's application.

In fact, someone on here said that they had your same results and they passed the test, so I would not worry too much about what you get. It is really difficult to be able to demonstrate all your skills through thee kind of assessments, and that is not even what is required of you at this stage, so do not worry!

I would just make sure to do the test having in front of you the main values, behaviours of a trainee and skills of a successful lawyer that Latham displays on the website and do the test accordingly.

Good luck with the application!!

izzy1036

Feb 9, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre,

For HSF's application question 'Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you', I spoke about my favourite movie and how it motivated me to step out of my comfort zone. I then provided examples of how I stepped out of my comfort zone at university. I was told to speak about something connected to current affairs instead. Should I change my answer to talk about something that's more commercial?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre,

For HSF's application question 'Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you', I spoke about my favourite movie and how it motivated me to step out of my comfort zone. I then provided examples of how I stepped out of my comfort zone at university. I was told to speak about something connected to current affairs instead. Should I change my answer to talk about something that's more commercial?
Absolutely not, HSF is really specific in saying that this question is meant for you to talk about everything you want. I went to their Open Day last year and they said that some people who got the training contract wrote about creative writing, Taylor Swift (which I was shocked about too), music and all sorts of non-commercial stuff. They really do want to hear what is interesting to you and do not require you to talk about financial markets or anything like that.

izzy1036

Feb 9, 2023
Absolutely not, HSF is really specific in saying that this question is meant for you to talk about everything you want. I went to their Open Day last year and they said that some people who got the training contract wrote about creative writing, Taylor Swift (which I was shocked about too), music and all sorts of non-commercial stuff. They really do want to hear what is interesting to you and do not require you to talk about financial markets or anything like that.
Thank you!

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.