TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
What is your personal motivation for seeking a career in corporate/commercial law?

Does this question from Goodwin ask you to talk about both or just one of them?
I think they use the term interchangeably but ultimately they mean why you are interested in becoming a commercial solicitor. That is how I interpreted when I was applying!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Is it still worth it to apply to Akin right now? Considering a lot of people have gotten TIs and tests
I think it is always worth applying to a law firm especially if you have already answers you could use from previous applications. I am sure that if your application stands out, they will give you an opportunity regardless of when you applied. However, I would encourage you to apply as soon as possible and possibly at least 4 or 3 days before the deadline (if you are very tight with time, otherwise I would recommend a week or two weeks before is best).

• 🏆
Reactions: atlas2425

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Is it worth applying to W&C at this stage for SVS?
I think it depends on whether you feel like you can dedicate time to the application since it is very long and a lot of research has to go into it. However, I think that if you know the firm quite well and you can re-use some answers that you have written for other applications, then you can definitely make it. I know people who applied the day before the deadline and got the vacation scheme offer so I would definitely recommend applying if you want.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If a question asks "Choose a recent news article or a current social issue that interests you..." should I choose a news article am I supposed to give details of it, e.g. Name, publisher and date?
I think that some people say that you should but the word count for some of these type of questions does not allow that so I personally never did it and jumped straight into the content of the article.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If a question asks "Choose a recent news article or a current social issue that interests you..." should I choose a news article am I supposed to give details of it, e.g. Name, publisher and date?
No need to give the date, but referencing where you read about it can sometimes be helpful in explaining why it interests you/how you found about it.

I often recommend considering multiple articles on the same subject for these type of questions though, and so in these instances, you don’t have to list all of them, you can just talk about the topic.

Reactions: Harold Gunderson

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.