TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Seven

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 15, 2022
How much weight does the VI question hold do people reckon? If you had a strong application and a weak VI, do you reckon that will massively count against you? Or as it’s only the one question, there will be less weight on it?
I’m not sure. Hard to tell but if your VI was weak, I think the question you should ask yourself is “If I removed the bad articulation and obvious nerves, was the actual content of my VI impactful?”

Reactions: jplaw1010

MrHubertLouis

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 5, 2021
I just did Pinsent Mason's Blended Test. Towards the end, my computer crashed a few times and so I had to close the browser. It didn't affect the VI portion. However, since they said at the beginning of the test that they record the entire process, is it worth contacting grad rec and letting them know about it?

Hani156

Standard Member
Nov 30, 2023
RE Pinsent Masons blended assessment - if it is untimed, will you be at a disadvantage if you spent more time completing the assessment considering they record the entire assessment? They advise to complete it in 1hr but I completed it in portions across 2 days tbh.

Reactions: MrHubertLouis

Aaj03

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 8, 2023
    In my Latham Vac Scheme online test report I only received a top strength, nothing else. Anyone else?
    This was what i got for the Open Day application then (top strength being resilience- later got a pfo), but somehow for the VS, I was able to get top strengths and a weakness.
    I don't know if it signifies anything.

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    I just did Pinsent Mason's Blended Test. Towards the end, my computer crashed a few times and so I had to close the browser. It didn't affect the VI portion. However, since they said at the beginning of the test that they record the entire process, is it worth contacting grad rec and letting them know about it?
    They don't record you personally, just the time taken to complete the assessment (I think). Someone please correct me if I am wrong hahah

Reactions: MrHubertLouis

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    For a 25 minute competency/motivation-based interview, how long should your responses be? I don't know if they're expecting real deep dives (4 mins per answer etc) or a quick run through two or three points per answer (around 2 mins).
    I would say that a fairly quick response could work (around 2/3 minutes) and then, if they want to know more, they will ask you more questions about what they want to understand from your answers. I think in interviews it is quite straightforward to see if you are talking more than what they want you to so if you see that that is the case, I would cut my sentences short and wait for further questions on the topic concerned to discuss more (in case you wanted to share more things in an answer). This was usually what I did and it made the process much more natural.

• Love
    Reactions: lonelycruise

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    when filling in the work experience section, it it necessary to include ALL work experience we've ever had?
    I would not say so. I think it is important to select the ones you feel are more relevant and that shaped your professional persona if that makes sense. When I was applying I had many internships and experiences I could have discussed but I ended up choosing a certain number firstly because the application does not allow you to put more than 6 or 7 sometimes, secondly because some of them I felt would have not helped like others in explaining my diverse skillset.

Something I would also consider going off of my last point above is to select experiences that are able to showcase a diverse skillset that you can bring to the role of a trainee solicitor like attention to detail, communication skills, advocacy, written skills etc.. I feel like as long as you include work experiences that demonstrates all these skills and more, your selection will be effective in portraying an holistic picture of you.

Reactions: Jaysen and hannah04

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.