TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

ikeRoss

Star Member
Sep 1, 2023
Do I need to answer a question like the below in an application, I know it is extra space but I am unsure what to write or if it is more directed towards international students or mitigating circumstances that need to be explained?

'If you have any additional information that you consider relevant to your application, please enter it here. If you do not have anything to add, please leave this box blank. [300 words]'

ttttt:)

Premium Member
Aug 7, 2023
Hi! A question about Davis Polk applications: they require a cover letter and a 'CV and detailed breakdown of your academic results'. Would that mean we have to provide a transcript with our grades (eg. uni, A levels) or merely detail our individual grades on the CV? Thanks :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

ah898

Star Member
  • Nov 9, 2023
    Do I need to answer a question like the below in an application, I know it is extra space but I am unsure what to write or if it is more directed towards international students or mitigating circumstances that need to be explained?

'If you have any additional information that you consider relevant to your application, please enter it here. If you do not have anything to add, please leave this box blank. [300 words]'
    It is recommended to answer this.

You can really talk about anything from competitions, awards, volunteering to extra curricular, and draw from the transferable skills you demonstrated/developed doing them.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023

The question is actually not directed to international students per se but to everyone. Here, you could also include awards, prizes, scholarships or impressive extra-curricular activities. If you do not have anything to discuss further then just leave it blank.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi! A question about Davis Polk applications: they require a cover letter and a 'CV and detailed breakdown of your academic results'. Would that mean we have to provide a transcript with our grades (eg. uni, A levels) or merely detail our individual grades on the CV? Thanks :)
    Write a detail breakdown on the CV. Sullivan & Cromwell asked the same and the way I did it was: Modules: Poverty (71%), Humanitarian Intervention and Digital Innovation (75%), Information Systems (66%)
    This is an example!
    I hope this helps!

ikeRoss

Star Member
    Sep 1, 2023
    It is recommended to answer this.

You can really talk about anything from competitions, awards, volunteering to extra curricular, and draw from the transferable skills you demonstrated/developed doing them.

The question is actually not directed to international students per se but to everyone. Here, you could also include awards, prizes, scholarships or impressive extra-curricular activities. If you do not have anything to discuss further then just leave it blank.
    Thank you both that is greatly appreciated!

The following question, however, is to 'Please give details of your extra-curricular activities and interests including any positions of responsibility' - would you advise to answer this one first and then if there was anything extra I couldn't fit to then use the former question space to discuss these?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023

The following question, however, is to 'Please give details of your extra-curricular activities and interests including any positions of responsibility' - would you advise to answer this one first and then if there was anything extra I couldn't fit to then use the former question space to discuss these?
    Yes, absolutely!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Consider it as if there is anything you feel that is really important to explain in regards to your application but you haven’t had the opportunity to present it in other sections of your application because you have not been asked (rather than you not being able to fit it in).

There are quite a lot of different elements this could cover, but I think this general rule gives you guidance on what it could be. For many candidates, they won’t need to add anything into this section though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

If you can’t fit it in, I’d try to be more concise rather than using the other section as an overflow. You can use it as an overflow if you wish, but it’s not really there for that purpose - it’s more for the evidence you haven’t been asked for rather than the elements that didn’t fit in elsewhere.

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    When discussing a current news article that's relevant to the firm/its clients, is it particularly beneficial to talk about something niche?

I was planning to discuss the EU AI Act and its implications, but I figured that half of applicants have probably chosen to talk about AI in some form. Would it be better to pick a topic that will make me stand out, or as long as I talk about a common theme confidently and explain its impact on the firm, that's fine?

ikeRoss

Star Member
    Sep 1, 2023
    Consider it as if there is anything you feel that is really important to explain in regards to your application but you haven’t had the opportunity to present it in other sections of your application because you have not been asked (rather than you not being able to fit it in).

There are quite a lot of different elements this could cover, but I think this general rule gives you guidance on what it could be. For many candidates, they won’t need to add anything into this section though.

If you can’t fit it in, I’d try to be more concise rather than using the other section as an overflow. You can use it as an overflow if you wish, but it’s not really there for that purpose - it’s more for the evidence you haven’t been asked for rather than the elements that didn’t fit in elsewhere.

Thank you Jess!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.