Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
With reference to a particular area of law, what do you find to be the most interesting about it?
To me this is more practice area rather than sector specific. However, there tends to be cross-overs - for instance, Real Estate, M&A, Private Equity, Technology/TMT all can be seen as both practice areas and sectors. If you do go with more of a sector approach, I would focus on the legal work within it, rather than it as a topic though.

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    To me this is more practice area rather than sector specific. However, there tends to be cross-overs - for instance, Real Estate, M&A, Private Equity, Technology/TMT all can be seen as both practice areas and sectors. If you do go with more of a sector approach, I would focus on the legal work within it, rather than it as a topic though.
    If I go with a sector approach, can I discuss project finance and environmental litigation etc in Energy or should I just be safe and go with a more specific practice area?

I say this because even within Real Estate there are several types of law so I'm not sure how to approach this.

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I go with a sector approach, can I discuss project finance and environmental litigation etc in Energy or should I just be safe and go with a more specific practice area?

I say this because even within Real Estate there are several types of law so I'm not sure how to approach this.

Thank you!
    You will need to pick one area - be mindful project finance will be considered one and environmental litigation another.

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    Is anyone else's HSF summer VS scheme still under review? I'm slightly terrified at waiting so long for them
    I’m in exactly the same position. Been waiting since 4 December so seeing everyone else has already received either a AC or PFO is slightly unnerving! But it’s not a PFO until it’s a PFO so just have to keep our fingers crossed!

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    I’m in exactly the same position. Been waiting since 4 December so seeing everyone else has already received either a AC or PFO is slightly unnerving! But it’s not a PFO until it’s a PFO so just have to keep our fingers crossed!
    Oh, where did you see everyone else receiving an AC? It’s only been about 2 or 3. As for PFO’s they’ve sent a handful.

If you haven’t heard back yet, I’d say that’s a good sign and I wouldn’t worry too much. January will be the month of outcomes from most firms.

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    Oh, where did you see everyone else receiving an AC? It’s only been about 2 or 3. As for PFO’s they’ve sent a handful.

If you haven’t heard back yet, I’d say that’s a good sign and I wouldn’t worry too much. January will be the month of outcomes from most firms.
    I think I’ve seen 2 on here, so you’re right there, it’s definitely not loads. Probably seen 10 or so PFOs.

And thank you, think it’s just a time to be patient and keep our hopes up.

Reactions: addy2004

amrita6399

Valued Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 13, 2023
    The key to this question is recognising an instance where changing your mind led to a better outcome. Lawyers need to have the emotional intelligence to realise where their approach to something or decision-making isn't the best route to take and then adapt to ensure a better outcome.

I would take the approach of briefly outlining your original decision-making and why you came to that conclusion. I would then explain the importance of how you changed your mind (e.g. what information/input did you have that helped you change your mind, how did you find this, why did it feel relevant/important in helping you change your mind), and then explain how the change in direction led to a better outcome.
    Thank you so much Jessica! This is really helpful to brainstorm

Petallove1

Legendary Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    For commercial awareness questions e.g. identify a current commercial issue which is relevant to X firm and explain why it's significant to stakeholders involved, how would you go about selecting the right commercial issue for that firm? Does it matter whether it's quite a prominent commercial issue if that really suits the firm you're writing about or is it better to go niche?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.