TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Hana (aaah I want a TC)

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 7, 2023
    For commercial awareness questions e.g. identify a current commercial issue which is relevant to X firm and explain why it's significant to stakeholders involved, how would you go about selecting the right commercial issue for that firm? Does it matter whether it's quite a prominent commercial issue if that really suits the firm you're writing about or is it better to go niche?
    I'd recommend picking something that interests you - something that you could go in-depth with! It doesn't matter if it's prominent or not, it's the quality of your answer that matters. If it's a 'mainstream' problem I'd recommend looking at the underlying issues!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For commercial awareness questions e.g. identify a current commercial issue which is relevant to X firm and explain why it's significant to stakeholders involved, how would you go about selecting the right commercial issue for that firm? Does it matter whether it's quite a prominent commercial issue if that really suits the firm you're writing about or is it better to go niche?
    There is a balance to this. Choosing something prominent might lead to it being quite generic if it is a very big story that everyone could talk about. However, too much of a niche and there is a risk of it being relevant to the firm.

My advice generally is to pick a general trend you are genuinely interested in, but then focus on how it is impacting a specific sector or jurisdiction the firm is involved with. This will get the balance of your answer being more specific and unique without it necessarily being too niche.

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    anyone got advice on how to do well in Ashurst psychometric tests or know any free resources that could help?
    I did it last year. Not sure if it has changed but I found that there wasn't really a way to prepare, so don't worry too much. Ensure your mental maths is quick though as I remember that was one of the games.

Hana (aaah I want a TC)

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 7, 2023
    Has anyone heard back from Bakers post application? I presume since i haven't that that's a PFO but no one on this thread seems to have received a WG invite and they have been quite slow this year.
    I haven't heard from them, and I attended their open day (not that it would mean I passed the application stage, but still, it was quite competitive)

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat but I've lost my momentum for applications and have found myself in a bit of a slump

As a result, I'm going to set myself a goal of sending off 4 applications minimum before the New Year begins so I can start the year on a bit of a high!

4 days, 4 apps, let's go!

If anyone else is in the same position, you can do this!

jas1502

Aug 2, 2023
    I don't know if anyone else is in the same boat but I've lost my momentum for applications and have found myself in a bit of a slump

As a result, I'm going to set myself a goal of sending off 4 applications minimum before the New Year begins so I can start the year on a bit of a high!

I'm feeling the same way, I haven't written an application since the 15th of Dec 😭 good luck with your goal, you've got this! I might set myself a similar one :) hope you've been having a relaxing break from applications at least ahaha

flower

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023

Hahah in the exact same position, I have 4 apps left to go that I want to send off before NY but I think I've hit burnout.

Reactions: MrHubertLouis

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.