Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Speaking about Simmons, this is a dumb question but I want to know the latest I can do it:

I was invited to the test on Thursday 28th and starting from tomorrow (aka the 29th), I have ten working days to complete the test. When is the latest I can do it? I have a rough idea but I just want to double check
I’d take that as Friday 12 Jan if it says 10 working days started from the 29th December.

ljms

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2024
What's the consensus on using all 250 words per experience in the work experience section? I worked four different hospitality jobs during uni, and there are only so many ways I can talk about pulling pints.

My main work experiences following graduation are all in the region of 250 words.

Chelsea1

Star Member
  • Aug 7, 2023
    What's the consensus on using all 250 words per experience in the work experience section? I worked four different hospitality jobs during uni, and there are only so many ways I can talk about pulling pints.

My main work experiences following graduation are all in the region of 250 words.
    Hi, I also worked four hospitality/fast-food/retail jobs during uni all with similar transferrable skills so I understand what you mean. In all my applications this year, I decided to lump all of those experiences together under one work experience header as "Part-time jobs (alongside degree) within Retail and Hospitality" - I used about 150 words to describe the different job roles I held, how may hours I worked, transferrable skills etc. I hope that helps in terms of not listing each hospitality job under separate headers!

Doing it the way I mentioned above was the only way that made sense to me so that I was not repeating the same things over and over :)

Reactions: Sharon Wu

EM23

Esteemed Member
    Dec 10, 2022
    I find it quite funny (not in a positive way) that when I do apps for English offices I barely get through the first stage or so if I am lucky. However, when I do applications for the same firms but are based in Scotland (where I got my llb) I get much further through the process. I have experience in international firms so quite sad and doesn’t feel genuine when firms say they are open to those without an English LLB or career changers. Just my own experience

• Sad
    Reactions: FutureTS13

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

You don’t have to use the full count. It’s only there for if it is needed, and for many roles a much shorter description will be appropriate.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I find it quite funny (not in a positive way) that when I do apps for English offices I barely get through the first stage or so if I am lucky. However, when I do applications for the same firms but are based in Scotland (where I got my llb) I get much further through the process. I have experience in international firms so quite sad and doesn’t feel genuine when firms say they are open to those without an English LLB or career changers. Just my own experience
    If you have no ties to the location you are applying to, there can be concerns more about whether you will enjoy life outside of work, so that could be a factor as to why.

dms21

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 6, 2023
    Out of curiosity, how long are people taking to write each application (+ research)? and for those completing them in one day, how are you doing it? Just curious as I have so many due applications within the next few weeks so any help or tips would be great!

Reactions: Sharon Wu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.