TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Out of curiosity, how long are people taking to write each application (+ research)? and for those completing them in one day, how are you doing it? Just curious as I have so many due applications within the next few weeks so any help or tips would be great!
It sounds obvious, but I really think it depends on the questions in the application form. When the questions are competency based, I generally have a set answer for these, so it's a case of modifying it slightly to more accurately reach the question or word count. This can take 20 minutes or so per question.

When they're "why this firm", this used to take me a while due to the research I thought was involved, but I think it is just about being clever in your approach. I use Chambers Student as a starting point, as that covers all the major selling points of the firm. Anything that is mentioned there that stands out, I explore that in further detail using the firm's website/Legal Cheek/LinkedIn/AllAboutLaw or any other sites you find useful. I think if you know why a certain area appeals to you (e.g. the M&A practice), if you can expand on this and find something particular about the firm that reflects this strength (e.g. a Band 1 ranking, a specific deal they worked on), it tends to speed up the process :)

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hello! Does anyone know whether (realistically) needing a visa will put me at a disadvantage for vacation schemes and training contracts? (I studied at a UK university but am from the EU and don't fit into the pre-settlement scheme). @Jessica Booker

Thank you!
    Hi there! If you're applying to an international law firm, it probably won't matter to them that you need a visa. The only thing that might hold you back is the work restriction on your visa, which if I recall correctly is 20 hours per week during term time. Just make sure that any vacation schemes you do fall outside of term time so you're not bound by the restriction. Best of luck, and hope this helped!

Reactions: atlas2425

LB24

Valued Member
    Sep 26, 2023
    Anyone not heard anything from Fieldfisher? I applied on 24th December which I know was the Christmas period but people seem to have heard back from them quite quick so now I’m worried

user12345law

Standard Member
    Jan 2, 2024
    Hi there! If you're applying to an international law firm, it probably won't matter to them that you need a visa. The only thing that might hold you back is the work restriction on your visa, which if I recall correctly is 20 hours per week during term time. Just make sure that any vacation schemes you do fall outside of term time so you're not bound by the restriction. Best of luck, and hope this helped!
    Yes, so helpful! Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What would you guys do when allhires has deleted an entire work experience that you included in a submitted application? I checked three times before sending my application, but from now on, I will take screenshots before sending my applications out! @Jessica Booker any suggestions? I am not even angry because I cannot change things, but I think that the system needs to be fixed!
    I’d go to AllHires and ask them to manually change the form for you and to fix the issue.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello! Does anyone know whether (realistically) needing a visa will put me at a disadvantage for vacation schemes and training contracts? (I studied at a UK university but am from the EU and don't fit into the pre-settlement scheme). @Jessica Booker

Thank you!
    The disadvantage is indirect - firms are likely to have a cap on the number of TCs they can offer to those needing a work permit, and so if a firm has 50 TCs but can only offer a maximum of 10 of those 50 to people who need a work permit, there are effectively fewer training contracts you are competing for.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.