TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

wannabesheridansmith

Distinguished Member
Jan 2, 2024
could anyone who has applied to shoosmiths tell me what their application questions are please? i dont want to start an application if i wont have time to submit it
I haven't decided whether to apply, but started one just in case and saved the questions. It's 5 questions, all 300 word limit except the first.
---
Please provide a brief explanation for why you have chosen to apply for a particular location
---
Describe why you want to be a trainee solicitor at Shoosmiths
---
Shoosmiths is a firm of individuals, with a culture that will actively allow you to grow your skills and challenge yourself. Focusing on one previous experience (in personal, work or study), what skills have you developed that will support your career as a solicitor?
---
Shoosmiths people are collaborative. What are the characteristics of a successful team? Share an example of an excellent team you have been a part of, what you achieved together and explain how this experience might benefit your future career
---
As a trainee, you’ll rotate teams and work with people at different levels, with different working styles and personalities. Which of your strengths will you draw upon to help you handle these changes?
---
The legal industry is evolving rapidly with advancements in artificial intelligence, particularly in generative AI, which has the potential to revolutionise legal research, document drafting, and even client interactions. At Shoosmiths, we’ve been working with AI for years and know a thing or two about what responsible AI can do in the real world. We lead the conversation on innovation and use our expertise to help drive change where it matters. It’s why we don’t ban the use of AI in trainee solicitor application forms.

Effective communication and being detail oriented are essential skills for succeeding as a trainee at Shoosmiths, and an application form is the first opportunity you have to communicate as your authentic self. You may choose to use generative AI as a tool to assist you in developing your own original and thoughtful responses, but you should never simply copy and paste answers from the internet.

At Shoosmiths, we place a high value on originality of thought, creativity, and innovation. Successful applications will be personal; you’ll demonstrate genuine effort and unique perspectives, as well as giving the reader a true sense of why you are applying for the role. You’ll also show how your strengths will help shape the future of the firm.

We view the responsible use of AI as something that can strengthen your abilities, fostering creativity and refining ideas, rather than a shortcut to replace authentic input.

How do you expect to use generative AI tools to enhance your effectiveness as a solicitor in the future?

If you have, you may also choose to include specific examples of how you have utilised generative AI to elevate part of your application to Shoosmiths, in this answer.
---

Best of luck if you decide to apply!

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    I have one question and it's about the 'assumption made' and 'assumption not made' part of an assessment. I have taken a few that I was confident with but one assessment has thrown me quite off. Does 'assumption made' just mean when reading the question and the statement, it can be assumed that the statement is correct? and when 'assumption is not made' it means that when reading the question and the statement, it can't be assumed that the statement is incorrect/not in correlation with the question?

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
    Sep 9, 2023
    I haven't decided whether to apply, but started one just in case and saved the questions. It's 5 questions, all 300 word limit except the first.
    ---
    Please provide a brief explanation for why you have chosen to apply for a particular location
    ---
    ---
    Shoosmiths is a firm of individuals, with a culture that will actively allow you to grow your skills and challenge yourself. Focusing on one previous experience (in personal, work or study), what skills have you developed that will support your career as a solicitor?
    ---
    Shoosmiths people are collaborative. What are the characteristics of a successful team? Share an example of an excellent team you have been a part of, what you achieved together and explain how this experience might benefit your future career
    ---
    As a trainee, you’ll rotate teams and work with people at different levels, with different working styles and personalities. Which of your strengths will you draw upon to help you handle these changes?
    ---
    The legal industry is evolving rapidly with advancements in artificial intelligence, particularly in generative AI, which has the potential to revolutionise legal research, document drafting, and even client interactions. At Shoosmiths, we’ve been working with AI for years and know a thing or two about what responsible AI can do in the real world. We lead the conversation on innovation and use our expertise to help drive change where it matters. It’s why we don’t ban the use of AI in trainee solicitor application forms.

Effective communication and being detail oriented are essential skills for succeeding as a trainee at Shoosmiths, and an application form is the first opportunity you have to communicate as your authentic self. You may choose to use generative AI as a tool to assist you in developing your own original and thoughtful responses, but you should never simply copy and paste answers from the internet.

At Shoosmiths, we place a high value on originality of thought, creativity, and innovation. Successful applications will be personal; you’ll demonstrate genuine effort and unique perspectives, as well as giving the reader a true sense of why you are applying for the role. You’ll also show how your strengths will help shape the future of the firm.

We view the responsible use of AI as something that can strengthen your abilities, fostering creativity and refining ideas, rather than a shortcut to replace authentic input.

How do you expect to use generative AI tools to enhance your effectiveness as a solicitor in the future?

If you have, you may also choose to include specific examples of how you have utilised generative AI to elevate part of your application to Shoosmiths, in this answer.
    ---

thank you so much! you too :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: wannabesheridansmith

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2023
    Haven't applied yet but ngl i really like how open this firm is about their recruitment process online

The questions are:
    1. Describe why you want to be a trainee solicitor at Shoosmiths.
    300 words

2. Shoosmiths is a firm of individuals, with a culture that will actively allow you to grow your skills and challenge yourself. Focusing on one previous experience (in personal, work or study), what skills have you developed that will support your career as a solicitor? 300 words

3. Shoosmiths people are collaborative. What are the characteristics of a successful team? Share an example of an excellent team you have been a part of, what you achieved together and explain how this experience might benefit your future career. 300 words

4. As a trainee, you’ll rotate teams and work with people at different levels, with different working styles and personalities. Which of your strengths will you draw upon to help you handle these changes? 300 words

5. The legal industry is evolving rapidly with advancements in artificial intelligence, particularly in generative AI, which has the potential to revolutionise legal research, document drafting, and even client interactions. At Shoosmiths, we’ve been working with AI for years and know a thing or two about what responsible AI can do in the real world. We lead the conversation on innovation and use our expertise to help drive change where it matters. It’s why we don’t ban the use of AI in trainee solicitor application forms.

300 words

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Haven't applied yet but ngl i really like how open this firm is about their recruitment process online

The questions are:
    1. Describe why you want to be a trainee solicitor at Shoosmiths.
    300 words

2. Shoosmiths is a firm of individuals, with a culture that will actively allow you to grow your skills and challenge yourself. Focusing on one previous experience (in personal, work or study), what skills have you developed that will support your career as a solicitor? 300 words

3. Shoosmiths people are collaborative. What are the characteristics of a successful team? Share an example of an excellent team you have been a part of, what you achieved together and explain how this experience might benefit your future career. 300 words

4. As a trainee, you’ll rotate teams and work with people at different levels, with different working styles and personalities. Which of your strengths will you draw upon to help you handle these changes? 300 words

5. The legal industry is evolving rapidly with advancements in artificial intelligence, particularly in generative AI, which has the potential to revolutionise legal research, document drafting, and even client interactions. At Shoosmiths, we’ve been working with AI for years and know a thing or two about what responsible AI can do in the real world. We lead the conversation on innovation and use our expertise to help drive change where it matters. It’s why we don’t ban the use of AI in trainee solicitor application forms.

300 words
    I attended an event last year and honestly, the graduate recruitment team (called something else) and even the trainees are so nice!

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---
    ---

---

Long ass question at the end 😭

ljms

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 2, 2024
    just got my feedback report for Akin
    no way i am getting past test with my lowest scoring area being collaboration 🤣
    I'm not going to divulge what my strongest and weakest were here in the interests of not doxxing myself, but my results are complete tripe and contradict what my background and work experience demonstrate. I hate these bs psychometric tests.

Still, my strongest areas do align with the firm's values so I hope I'm still in the running.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.