TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Livvia

Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
For SJT’s and the questions you are supposed to move the ‘sliders’ accross for, does anyone know if you are supposed to be moderate and not go the full way?

I have trouble knowing if I should find a good level on the slides or go the full way towards what I think is right.

Appreciate insight from anyone who can help / who has passed an SJT with these questions included.
First, You would realise that you cannot stay at the middle of the slider. Next, depending on the question - for instance, if its a question where the other option is entirely wrong/a bad attribute, you can go the full way or very slightly/close to it. Where both answers are correct (seem to be good attributes), would advice that you come "closely to the middle" and then decide which of the both options suit your personality/attribute and tilt more (but not extremely) to it. You might want to keep the firm's values/required attributes in your mind while responding.

Njaliwe Ungwe

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 15, 2020
Does anybody know whether BCLP has reduced their trainee intake? Their new graduate brochure mentions that they only take 30 vac scheme attendees in total - spring and summer. Perhaps they have a higher acceptance rate during vac schemes and/or they take a good proportion from direct TC apps? Any insight here would be helpful

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Does anybody know whether BCLP has reduced their trainee intake? Their new graduate brochure mentions that they only take 30 vac scheme attendees in total - spring and summer. Perhaps they have a higher acceptance rate during vac schemes and/or they take a good proportion from direct TC apps? Any insight here would be helpful
    BCLP intake is probably about to drop the firm isn’t retaining anyone and is going through a massive rough patch right now

ChasingTCS

Oct 4, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre can you please guide me on how to approach the Morgan Lewis application questions? Q1 asks 'Why have you applied to Morgan Lewis? What do you think are the skills and attributes you possess that distinguish you from other applicants?’ What sort of skills and attributes do you suggest I highlight in this question as the other questions already discuss things like client service and teamwork eg- Q2) How do you ensure that you are a valued member of the team? Please provide an example where you have been able to contribute to the team’s success. Q3) Providing exceptional client service is at the core of everything we do, please provide an example of a time you have delivered exceptional client service.

Would really appreciate any guidance.

lawgurl90

Star Member
    Jan 3, 2024
    Hi @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre can you please guide me on how to approach the Morgan Lewis application questions? Q1 asks 'Why have you applied to Morgan Lewis? What do you think are the skills and attributes you possess that distinguish you from other applicants?’ What sort of skills and attributes do you suggest I highlight in this question as the other questions already discuss things like client service and teamwork eg- Q2) How do you ensure that you are a valued member of the team? Please provide an example where you have been able to contribute to the team’s success. Q3) Providing exceptional client service is at the core of everything we do, please provide an example of a time you have delivered exceptional client service.

Would really appreciate any guidance.
    I am facing the same problem. Can we repeat experiences? I'm not sure how to approach the first question cause I feel like everything will be repeated in the questions below. Especially as the last question is "5) Please provide details of your interests and extra-curricular activities - including any positions of responsibility you have held at school, university or otherwise - and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of."

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hello, I received an email from the recruitment team at a law firm today, stating that I hadn't supplied my GCSE grades. I panicked and immediately replied, sending my grades and apologies. However, I just checked the portal, and my grades are already there. Should I email again and point this out? Also, will this negatively impact my application? I'm really stressed out because I put a lot of time into this application.
    You can but I would personally leave it since you have provided them with the information they asked. I understand it might be a bit frustrating but it is nobody's fault and I would try to not disturb them too much. You might want to say that you can still see your grades from your end but I personally would leave it here. I am sure this will not impact your application in any way so I would not worry about this.

Zi48

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    I am facing the same problem. Can we repeat experiences? I'm not sure how to approach the first question cause I feel like everything will be repeated in the questions below. Especially as the last question is "5) Please provide details of your interests and extra-curricular activities - including any positions of responsibility you have held at school, university or otherwise - and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of."
    When I applied last year I just used one experience in the first question, and tried to pull out as many skills as I could from that one, things like communication and entrepreneurial skills, and I mentioned teamwork anyway. I spent 200 words on why Morgan Lewis then 100 on skills. I would try not to repeat if you can. But if you are going to use the same experiences across questions (e.g. the same job) maybe try to focus on different skills/situations so it’s not exactly the same

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For SJT’s and the questions you are supposed to move the ‘sliders’ accross for, does anyone know if you are supposed to be moderate and not go the full way?

I have trouble knowing if I should find a good level on the slides or go the full way towards what I think is right.

Appreciate insight from anyone who can help / who has passed an SJT with these questions included.
    Go with what is right for you and don’t be afraid to use the full spectrum.

B.B.

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    Has anyone heard from Withers? They say they start reviewing a month before the deadline closes and I’ve not heard anything yet haha
    I received the online assessment invite on 16th Jan and applied on 12th Jan. I'm not sure if it's automatic or not :)) but the email says 'you've been successful in getting through to the next stage'

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.