TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    could anybody who's done the RPC AC tell me what the business meeting exercise entails? is it like a verbal case study or a group activity type exercise? i'd really appreciate it!
    It’s a case study, you’re given a lot of documents with graphs and you have to advise a business on an expansion strategy. You’ll then present your findings verbally and answer questions about your choice

Reactions: txl and Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @Jessica Booker If a firm has no minimum grade requirements, will those with a high-performing track record be seen more favourable during the application process than somebody with less impressive grades?
    This will definitely be a favoured factor but it will not be the only factor that will determine who gets invited for an interview or not.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi everyone. I have accepted a vac scheme at a firm that only recruits trainees through its vac schemes. As I am currently working full-time, I have limited annual leave days which means that I cannot complete any more vac schemes alongside the one I have accepted. When should I let the other firms I have applied to (all of which do take trainees through the direct TC route) know about my situation to see if I can convert my vac scheme application into a direct TC one. I’m not sure whether to let them know now or further along/at the end of the assessment process. I would appreciate any help on this! @Jessica Booker
    I would say that it is important for you to let them know now so that you can understand which one to do or what steps to take. Further down the line might be too late in my opinion as the competition is high so they might just accept you not joining the firm for the vacation scheme without giving you the possibility to convert. Email them now stressing a strong interest in the firm and I am sure it will be fine. I have done this with a firm last year closer to the date just because I received my training contract after the spring scheme and I was not able to do the vacation scheme at the other firm during the summer and they were very open. Ideally though, I would have asked before.

Reactions: KHAM2002

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker, what is the correct way to mention upcoming vac schemes in interviews? Is it something I can mention as it may make me look more impressive? Or does it not do much to worth mentioning?
    You can mention it but I would only do so if you are asked, I personally would not go above and beyond to mention it as it might come off the wrong way. I did share it last year with a firm but they asked me about it and I think that contributed to me appearing more appealing to them but I did say it only because they bluntly asked.

Reactions: NJS

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Do firms generally call you if you’ve reached the interview stage or do they email?
    They usually email and they call to give you a positive answer, this has been my experience so far. But I know that a couple of firms do call to offer interviews so it is firm dependent I would say.

Reactions: Bread

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.