TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Who has the 'final say' in an application cycle once you collate all the feedback? If you've got to AC, is it the partners? Is it GR? I'd love to learn how they select successful candidates for VSs.
Just anecdotally (a senior associate at Slaughters told me this) I've heard partners have significant influence if they really like or dislike a candidate.

SoonToBeTrainee

Standard Member
Dec 29, 2023
Just anecdotally (a senior associate at Slaughters told me this) I've heard partners have significant influence if they really like or dislike a candidate.
A lot of the big US firms are like this too. If a senior partner likes you, you're most likely in. No senior associate or member of recruitment can challenge them.

I also have a few friends who have relatives at the MC firms from which they got their offers. I would give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they secured their TCs on their own merit, but behind closed doors, they'd brag about how their dad or uncle ultimately got them the job.

I think it's just how it is and it's one of those things that most likely won't change.

At least these firms recruit the other 99% of us fairly.

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    A lot of the big US firms are like this too. If a senior partner likes you, you're most likely in.

I also have a few friends who have relatives at the MC firms from which they got their offers. I would give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they secured their TCs on their own merit, but behind closed doors, they'd brag about how their dad or uncle ultimately got them the job.

I think it's just how it is and it's one of those things that most likely won't change.

i remember i was in an AC once and someone in my group was talking about how their aunt was a partner there 😭

me after having gone thru 3 rounds of pre ac stages to get to the ac:

Angry Episode 1 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    A lot of the big US firms are like this too. If a senior partner likes you, you're most likely in. No senior associate or member of recruitment can challenge them.

Well ultimately as a trainee you are facilitating the partners work I suppose, so it makes sense they have the most say.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

SaLM

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 27, 2024
    Would it be safe to assume they have filled all vacancies for TC’s even for the Manchester office if they are making calls? I know a fair few people amongst myself who are still waiting for TI’s and AC’s etc?
    I'm not sure regarding the TC as I think that was on a non-rolling basis unlike the DAC - I applied for the London Office so maybe they're only doing it for their London & Birmingham offices atm and waiting on Manchester?

Niall

Jan 30, 2024
    I'm not sure regarding the TC as I think that was on a non-rolling basis unlike the DAC - I applied for the London Office so maybe they're only doing it for their London & Birmingham offices atm and waiting on Manchester?
    Thanks for the reply - I hope so at least haha, I know there’s only a few TC’s available in Manchester so to be rejected without the chance to interview would be annoying to say the least

• 🤝
    Reactions: SaLM

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.