TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

tcplease2345

Valued Member
Feb 6, 2024
I did not mention two of my internships in the GS vetting check form. As I do not have references for them since, one was volunteer work and the other was a virtual internship. It wont be an issue right? I am worried as GS seems quite strict with their vetting checks and they are taking so long.

tcplease2345

Valued Member
Feb 6, 2024
I did not mention two of my internships in the GS vetting check form. As I do not have references for them since, one was volunteer work and the other was a virtual internship. It wont be an issue right? I am worried as GS seems quite strict with their vetting checks and they are taking so long.
Any help on this. As I also mentioned a forage internship in my experience on my CV but I obviously do not have a reference. Will it count against me?

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
Any help on this. As I also mentioned a forage internship in my experience on my CV but I obviously do not have a reference. Will it count against me?
Don’t worry about it. You’ll still get the offer. They know what forage is. I mentioned a legal cheek vacation scheme on my CV. With onboarding, which is the most important part just leave it out. For the volunteer reference when onboarding have a persons (someone who’s willing to give a reference) contact details

Reactions: tcplease2345

tcplease2345

Valued Member
Feb 6, 2024
Don’t worry about it. You’ll still get the offer. They know what forage is. I mentioned a legal cheek vacation scheme on my CV. With onboarding, which is the most important part just leave it out. For the volunteer reference when onboarding have a persons (someone who’s willing to give a reference) contact details
The issue is I did not mention them both on the on boarding form as I thought I do not have a reference so I shouldn't mention it. But they are mentioned in my CV. Plus I for got to mention the internship was from forage on my CV. I am just hoping for the best, possible they skip it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If they were on your original application/CV this could cause some additional checks.

If the virtual programme was on something like Forage, that is not an issue but if it was a paid scheme that was just done virtually you will need to provide the details.

The volunteer role is likely to not need a reference though.

tcplease2345

Valued Member
Feb 6, 2024
The Forage programme is not work experience so this is not an issue.
I mentioned it on my CV under work experience with the name of the firm the work experience was for but I for got to mention it was through forage as I did not know when I applied that you cannot count forage as work experience. That's why I am worried and they did not even get back to me yet. So if they ask me about it should I just say it was through forage and I forgot to mention that?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I mentioned it on my CV under work experience with the name of the firm the work experience was for but I for got to mention it was through forage as I did not know when I applied that you cannot count forage as work experience. That's why I am worried and they did not even get back to me yet. So if they ask me about it should I just say it was through forage and I forgot to mention that?
There is nothing to worry about - at best you’d provide the certificate you received for completing the programme, but I doubt they would even ask for it given they see forage programmes all the time.

Reactions: tcplease2345

karennnnnnnnn

Standard Member
Jan 10, 2023
Do you guys think it’s okay to commute from London to reading everyday for a 5 day vacation scheme or too risky with train strikes etc? I’ve never been to reading and not sure how reliable the commute is but I could save money this way
Hey I take the Elizabeth line often into London and I would say it’s pretty unreliable and there have been a lot of occasions where the service has just stopped out of nowhere and I’ve been put off my daily commute by an hour or longer.

Reactions: gazdgazd11 and S87

amy2002

Mar 14, 2024
Hi @Jessica Booker!

I have a vacation scheme coming up next month and in terms of preparation, how much does it differ from preparation for an assessment centre? Would you just refreshen your knowledge of the firm, recent deals, brush up on commercial awareness and the like? I don't know if there is something else I should be doing.

Also, when it comes to the final interview, would the questions you ask at the end differ from ones you may have asked at the AC? For instance, if I wanted to know what their (the interviewer's) favourite aspect of the firm was, or what pro bono work they've engaged with at the firm, is this type of interview a fine time to ask this? Or should the questions be more reflective of my time on the VS?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker!

I have a vacation scheme coming up next month and in terms of preparation, how much does it differ from preparation for an assessment centre? Would you just refreshen your knowledge of the firm, recent deals, brush up on commercial awareness and the like? I don't know if there is something else I should be doing.

Also, when it comes to the final interview, would the questions you ask at the end differ from ones you may have asked at the AC? For instance, if I wanted to know what their (the interviewer's) favourite aspect of the firm was, or what pro bono work they've engaged with at the firm, is this type of interview a fine time to ask this? Or should the questions be more reflective of my time on the VS?

Thanks!
I don’t think you need to prepare in the same way as interviews/assessment centres because you have plenty of time during the scheme itself to apply your learning.

I would follow the firm’s social media and see what thought pieces they are putting out/what work they are highlighting - this will give you some indication of the general trends within the firm and what they feel is important. As you read these elements, if there is anything you don’t understand, then that’s a good idea to read around the subject to develop your knowledge further. If you know which department(s) you will be working in, then you can focus this reading on to the topics more related to that department.

I’d personally suggest more nuanced questions for a VS to TC interview. I am not sure you really gain much from knowing what other people have worked on/what they like. Try to ask questions that are really going to help you get into specific detail that is important for you to find out more about. You are going to have lots of opportunities to learn about people’s work as you network, so instead think about what you haven’t gained from your scheme so far and ask questions that will give you an insight into those areas.

amy2002

Mar 14, 2024
I don’t think you need to prepare in the same way as interviews/assessment centres because you have plenty of time during the scheme itself to apply your learning.

I would follow the firm’s social media and see what thought pieces they are putting out/what work they are highlighting - this will give you some indication of the general trends within the firm and what they feel is important. As you read these elements, if there is anything you don’t understand, then that’s a good idea to read around the subject to develop your knowledge further. If you know which department(s) you will be working in, then you can focus this reading on to the topics more related to that department.

I’d personally suggest more nuanced questions for a VS to TC interview. I am not sure you really gain much from knowing what other people have worked on/what they like. Try to ask questions that are really going to help you get into specific detail that is important for you to find out more about. You are going to have lots of opportunities to learn about people’s work as you network, so instead think about what you haven’t gained from your scheme so far and ask questions that will give you an insight into those areas.
Thanks Jessica, that's really helpful!

When you say more nuanced, how do you mean exactly? Would that be more culture related because your culture would have been limited until you've had that first-hand experience? Or have I misinterpreted you there?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.