Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Do you have any tips?
There’s some great advice in the following threads or posts:

Post in thread 'Tips for first in-person vac scheme'
https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....or-first-in-person-vac-scheme.3579/post-69996

Kaye4444

May 8, 2024
I have a question regarding background screening at a law firm. They asked me for employment history for a few previous years but I did not mention one job.

This was my first job and it only lasted two weeks after which I was dismissed at a small regional law firm. Can they find this job as nothing related to me is mentioned anywhere regarding that firm. I am worried how this may impact my offer. @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have a question regarding background screening at a law firm. They asked me for employment history for a few previous years but I did not mention one job.

This was my first job and it only lasted two weeks after which I was dismissed at a small regional law firm. Can they find this job as nothing related to me is mentioned anywhere regarding that firm. I am worried how this may impact my offer. @Jessica Booker
You should really disclose it, especially as it might have to be raised in conflicts checks anyway.

From an onboarding process they can only go off the information you give them, but if something comes up where they find out you didn’t disclose this as part of the onboarding processes when you were explicitly asked to provide all employment details, you could be dismissed/the job offer retracted, not because of the original job but because it will be seen that you have lied.

Kaye4444

May 8, 2024
You should really disclose it, especially as it might have to be raised in conflicts checks anyway.

From an onboarding process they can only go off the information you give them, but if something comes up where they find out you didn’t disclose this as part of the onboarding processes when you were explicitly asked to provide all employment details, you could be dismissed/the job offer retracted, not because of the original job but because it will be seen that you have lied.
It has been a month since I filled in all the onboarding forms. I had to fill in two as the role is a secondment at another company through out the contract.

Isn't it too late for me to tell them? they have not even contacted me back since then, only asked me for some extra info regarding addresses etc. plus I have one other previous employment but it was not in the UK so they said I can provide an academic reference as my second reference. However, the company where the secondment is they asked for ten years previous employment. I filled the forms two and a half weeks ago for them but they haven't gotten back since.

jasonbourne

• Feb 9, 2024
    Hey guys, I have a feedback call tomorrow. Anything in particular I should look to mention aside from questions relating to how I could improve and my weaknesses etc? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I want to make a good final impression on the grad rec since I'm planning on applying to the firm's vac scheme in the next cycle (and potentially TC in this cycle).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.