TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021
Got rejected from a final-stage AC at a an MC firm and feeling so dejected now :( I have no more applications pending and I don't really want to make any more since it's so late in the cycle and I'm really crushed by the last rejection as I worked so hard on the AC.
If you make a couple more applications you might get a great TC. If you make no more applications you will 100% get nothing.

Which way anon?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Got rejected from a final-stage AC at a an MC firm and feeling so dejected now :( I have no more applications pending and I don't really want to make any more since it's so late in the cycle and I'm really crushed by the last rejection as I worked so hard on the AC.
I wouldn't say it is late in the cycle - many firms are still going to open their direct TC applications this summer.

Maybe take a break from it for a while and come back to it once you have had a chance to relax and reflect. You are allowed to feel like this (pretty much everyone does!) and taking a break might give you the opportunity to refocus later in the Spring/Summer when some applications will be open.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just signed my TC at Baker McKenzie. Thank you to the TCLA community, @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for your help and the resources :)
Amazing news! Congratulations and well done 👏🏼

Happy Clap GIF by The Voice

avry

Oct 25, 2023
rant:

did a vacation scheme at a firm and just got the post-scheme rejection email. feeling absolutely blindsided - i thought i did well and thought i'd at least get waitlisted. i've got two other schemes coming up this year but now i'm just feeling completely dejected and hopeless. what if i don't get any of those either? seems like i don't have as good a grip as i thought on assessing my own performance, and now i feel like my confidence has just disappeared. and i really liked the firm as well.

anyone got any words of wisdom / advice / encouragement? (btw i will hopefully book a feedback call w them)

legal1803

Star Member
Feb 17, 2024
rant:

did a vacation scheme at a firm and just got the post-scheme rejection email. feeling absolutely blindsided - i thought i did well and thought i'd at least get waitlisted. i've got two other schemes coming up this year but now i'm just feeling completely dejected and hopeless. what if i don't get any of those either? seems like i don't have as good a grip as i thought on assessing my own performance, and now i feel like my confidence has just disappeared. and i really liked the firm as well.

anyone got any words of wisdom / advice / encouragement? (btw i will hopefully book a feedback call w them)
aww :( which firm was it?

Fysone

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2020
rant:

First, I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I fully appreciate the gut shot of a post vac scheme rejection (I've experienced it twice) and I think it's important to register that feeling to drive you on further. As you have two other schemes coming up you have more to look forward to than to be dejected by, but having a cold look at your performance is key. Really try and see where you might have tripped up. You clearly have the capability to get three VCs, but pushing it over the line can be anything. On liking the firm, though you might well have liked it, it isn't the only firm out there and not the only one you can like, in time you'll forget about it and find new interests. Best of luck for the summer, I'm rooting for you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.