TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Lamb7075

Apr 2, 2024
Did everyone's non-PFO PFO from BDB Pitmans include the "As we were impressed with your application and video interview..." line/bits about the alternative events? Just trying to gauge if it was a generic platitude to soften the blow of having spent lots of time and effort for nothing or genuine.
I got the same thing. I’m still in complete shock.

2002nyka

May 10, 2024
Did everyone's non-PFO PFO from BDB Pitmans include the "As we were impressed with your application and video interview..." line/bits about the alternative events? Just trying to gauge if it was a generic platitude to soften the blow of having spent lots of time and effort for nothing or genuine
Yeah I got the same email. Feeling so disappointed and put off by the firm now. I had such a good perception of them before so a real shame :/

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Did everyone's non-PFO PFO from BDB Pitmans include the "As we were impressed with your application and video interview..." line/bits about the alternative events? Just trying to gauge if it was a generic platitude to soften the blow of having spent lots of time and effort for nothing or genuine.
I can answer this - it’s very genuine.

It was only sent to people who were at the final selection stages and who the firm want to keep in contact with for future opportunities.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah I got the same email. Feeling so disappointed and put off by the firm now. I had such a good perception of them before so a real shame :/
Sorry to hear you feel like that.

The firm understand the frustrations from the decision being made at this late stage in the process, and it wasn’t a decision made lightly.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

RonRod13

Esteemed Member
Nov 18, 2023
rant:

did a vacation scheme at a firm and just got the post-scheme rejection email. feeling absolutely blindsided - i thought i did well and thought i'd at least get waitlisted. i've got two other schemes coming up this year but now i'm just feeling completely dejected and hopeless. what if i don't get any of those either? seems like i don't have as good a grip as i thought on assessing my own performance, and now i feel like my confidence has just disappeared. and i really liked the firm as well.

anyone got any words of wisdom / advice / encouragement? (btw i will hopefully book a feedback call w them)

You’ve got 3 vac schemes this cycle which is a huge accomplishment, that’s more than some people get across 3 application cycles so you should be really proud of yourself and hold your head high.

You may not have reached your goal yet but you’re certainly very close to it and you’ve made a lot of progress!

2002nyka

May 10, 2024
hi what was the message? i want to make sure if it’s rhe same one i got :)
Just an email saying they won't do a vac scheme this year nor offer any training contracts. Had this line in it too, but have a feeling most emails followed the same wording.

"The 2025 summer vacation scheme applications will open in the late autumn/early winter of 2024. As we were impressed with your application and video interview, we would love to see an application from you again towards the end of the year."

Again, not fully clear on what this means for me personally as I'm in my final year, and was planning to start the see in autumn but do need to secure funding for it.

lolololol

Nov 13, 2023
Just an email saying they won't do a vac scheme this year nor offer any training contracts. Had this line in it too, but have a feeling most emails followed the same wording.

"The 2025 summer vacation scheme applications will open in the late autumn/early winter of 2024. As we were impressed with your application and video interview, we would love to see an application from you again towards the end of the year."

Again, not fully clear on what this means for me personally as I'm in my final year, and was planning to start the see in autumn but do need to secure funding for it.

thanks, i got that too :(

HugoH

Standard Member
Feb 2, 2024
Can anyone who has an Assessment Centre at Baker McKenzie for the direct TC message me if they have their booking is either 28th May or 4th June and are willing to swap to 13th June. I have a vac scheme that runs 9th - 21st June so I am only able to attend the 28th May or 4th June assessment centres. I would be incredibly grateful if I could swap those dates as I am getting desperate and would mean the world to me! :)

• ℹ️
Reactions: Aaj03

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker - I’d really appreciate your advice!

I’ve secured 2 one-week VS: one at firm A starting on 17 June and the other at firm B, which offers two options, starting on either 3 June or 10 June.

I just had an AC with firm C, and if successful, I’d be invited to attend a VS on 3 June. Annoyingly, last week, I mistakenly told firm B that my preferred VS week was 3 June.

What do you think is the best thing to do? Ideally, I’d like to do all 3. Should I ask firm B if they could change my VS to w/c 10 June now, or wait until I hear back from firm C (by the end of May)? Does it look bad if I ask to change due to my mistake, especially for a firm that hasn’t made me an offer?

It also might be worth noting that I could do an AC for direct TC with firm B in late June, but I’m worried this would impact my chances.
    Is one of them WBD?.. want to know if their response time after AC

Reactions: CP2000

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.