Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi @Jaysen @Jessica Booker I have just secured my first ever vacation scheme with a national firm!!! I’m a non-law grad with good commercial experience over the last 18 months but no real knowledge of academic law, do you have any tips for me to maximise my chances of converting it to a TC? I believe the firm take 10-ish vac schemers and recruit trainees predominantly from this route, although there is a direct entry. Thanks!!
    This is amazing news, really well done.

I know it can be hard to know what to expect on a vacation scheme (or how to do well!). This video should help - you'll hear from five future trainees about how they converted their vacation scheme into a training contract:

Reactions: Sharon Wu

AS24

Star Member
    Apr 16, 2024
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope you are well.

I have been put on a hold list for a direct tc. I completed my VI and need to wait if they are going to have more AC or if someone is going to drop out. I was wondering if I could email the firm and ask if, in case none of the above happens, I could be considered for the next recruitment process without the need to send an app and complete another VI.
    Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

tasuli2809

May 14, 2024
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope you are well.

I have been put on a hold list for a direct tc. I completed my VI and need to wait if they are going to have more AC or if someone is going to drop out. I was wondering if I could email the firm and ask if, in case none of the above happens, I could be considered for the next recruitment process without the need to send an app and complete another VI.
    Thank you in advance.
    Hey, I think we have received it from the same firm, I was thinking of the same, let me know if you do email them regarding this. if you dont mind me asking, when did you complete your VI?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I hope you are well.

Thank you in advance.
    Typically you would still need to reapply in a different cycle, but there is no harm in asking. I would wait until you know there is no chance of them inviting you through though (eg when the recruitment process has concluded).

Reactions: chanse2108 and AS24

SirLancelot7777

Jan 19, 2024
    Hey guys. I'm really lucky in that I've got two VS offers for early Summer, that unfortunately overlap. One of my parents suggested doing them at the same time, which seemed unhinged, but I was wondering whether anyone had done it?

I think conflict of interest would be a problem, as well as sanity, and getting the most out of each scheme. It seems like a terrible idea but the fact that my parent suggested it makes me wonder if I'm missing something.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys. I'm really lucky in that I've got two VS offers for early Summer, that unfortunately overlap. One of my parents suggested doing them at the same time, which seemed unhinged, but I was wondering whether anyone had done it?

I think conflict of interest would be a problem, as well as sanity, and getting the most out of each scheme. It seems like a terrible idea but the fact that my parent suggested it makes me wonder if I'm missing something.
    Absolutely no chance of doing them at the same time - no offence to your parents, but this is an absolutely terrible idea.

Even if both schemes were virtual, you'd be found out pretty quickly. Even if one of them was in person, it would be spotted pretty much immediately.

CP2000

Star Member
    Mar 4, 2024
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I was fortunate enough to secure 3 vacation schemes this summer, but can only do 2 of them as they overlap.

Is it common for people to ask a firm to move a VS app to a direct TC app? This way, I could attend the standalone assessment center and still be considered for the TC.

Thanks in advance!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I was fortunate enough to secure 3 vacation schemes this summer, but can only do 2 of them as they overlap.

Is it common for people to ask a firm to move a VS app to a direct TC app? This way, I could attend the standalone assessment center and still be considered for the TC.

Thanks in advance!!
    Yes - very common. Some firms will be able to accommodate, others may not (especially as they know they are not your first choice). There is absolutely no harm is asking though.

• ℹ️
    • 🤝
    Reactions: Sharon Wu and CP2000

SirLancelot7777

Jan 19, 2024
    @Jessica Booker Hi! I've signed a contract with firm A to do a VS, but my circumstances have changed a bit in that I've received a TC offer from firm B that expires, even with extension, before when I would hear back from firm A after firm A's VS regarding a TC offer from them. I'm quite tempted to go with my certain offer from B and withdraw from A's VS, but I'm wondering how this would work if I've already signed a contract for A's VS?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi! I've signed a contract with firm A to do a VS, but my circumstances have changed a bit in that I've received a TC offer from firm B that expires, even with extension, before when I would hear back from firm A after firm A's VS regarding a TC offer from them. I'm quite tempted to go with my certain offer from B and withdraw from A's VS, but I'm wondering how this would work if I've already signed a contract for A's VS?

Thanks!
    You can renege a VS offer if you want to - there will not be any issues with doing so.

Do you definitely want to train with firm B rather than firm A?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.