TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Anyone applying to HSF?
    the online qs for HSF are:

1)Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you.
    (We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests)(Up to 300 words, inclusive of character limit)
    2) Why are you interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills?
    (Up to 300 words, inclusive of character limit)
    3) What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role?
    (Up to 300 words, inclusive of the character limit)

are you still not able to see the qs?

Reactions: lawstudent1245

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker If a firm recruits on a rolling basis and applications close in January and they have an open day in December. Would you say it's worth holding off applying to apply to their Open day? Or would applying much earlier than that be an advantage? What if I receive a rejection from the Open Day and have to put that on my VC app? I guess I see more odds not in my favor by waiting for the Open Day and possibility of rejection
    I’d apply for the open day and then apply for the vacation scheme once I knew the outcome of the application from the open day. You are likely to know the outcome from the open day few weeks before the open day happens, and so you’d still have part of November and all of December to apply. With rolling deadlines, most candidates won’t be applying until around Christmas (or even later).

Reactions: Tintin06

lawstudent1245

• Aug 23, 2023
    the online qs for HSF are:

1)Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you.
    (We are looking for structure and succinctness in your answer. Your answer does not need to be related to law or HSF and it is a chance for us to find out more about you and your interests)(Up to 300 words, inclusive of character limit)
    2) Why are you interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills?
    (Up to 300 words, inclusive of character limit)
    3) What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role?
    (Up to 300 words, inclusive of the character limit)

are you still not able to see the qs?
    Thank you.
    It does not have a sidebar that allows you to jump to sections but rather you see each section as you complete it.
    Was/Is that the same for you?

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    Hi - for Jones Day VS, is it bad if I did not join any event nor did the Forage internship (I could do it now if it could impact my application) ? I want to apply but unfortunately haven't joined events as of yet.

Also for the cover letter, if it is 300 words, should I do 100 words why law, 100 words why Jones Day and 100 why me ? or focus more on Jones Day.
    Hey - I did a winter vac with them last year and I was the only person on the scheme who did an Open Day with them so I doubt the lack of events is a problem. I personally would just do the Forage to not regret it, in case it makes a difference (I did it and I know a few others on the Scheme did it too last year).

As for the answer structure, my approach was 100 on why commercial law, and the rest on why JD (whilst linking it back to me/why me throughout).

Reactions: Louise59

Louise59

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    Hey - I did a winter vac with them last year and I was the only person on the scheme who did an Open Day with them so I doubt the lack of events is a problem. I personally would just do the Forage to not regret it, in case it makes a difference (I did it and I know a few others on the Scheme did it too last year).

As for the answer structure, my approach was 100 on why commercial law, and the rest on why JD (whilst linking it back to me/why me throughout).
    Hi - thank you so much for your answer.

Did you enjoy the scheme ?

I will do the online internship. Did you mention it in your cover letter ?

Thanks for the cover letter structure too! I will do that :)

Louise59

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    Hi there. Here’s my two cents on this matter:

If you have a strong reason for why you want to become a commercial solicitor/why you wish to work for JD, then I don’t think not doing a forage internship would put you at a disadvantage. I read on this forum that someone was invited to a JD interview without doing their forage internship. Another thing to note is since forage programmes are open access internships, doing one isn’t particularly going to make you stand out. So many people can do them. In fact, I know someone who’s never attended any open days yet has completed vac schemes at top magic circle, silver circle & int’l law firms (where they’re a future trainee now). So I suppose it’s more about presenting your reasons in a convincing manner rather than thinking you’ll be at a disadvantage for not competing a forage internship.

I hope this helps. Good luck!
    Hi -

Thank you for your message. It was helpful (and motivating).

I actually just finished writing my application! (I will go through it again but it’s good to have that first draft)

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    Does anyone know what kind of % of trainees at Slaughters have done a scheme or similar?
    They seem to run:
    2 Day Winter Workshop - notes 'at the end, you will have the opportunity to apply for a training contract'
    Spring Work Exp Scheme (1 week) - notes 'at the end, you will have the opportunity to apply for a training contract'
    Summer Work Exp Scheme (3 weeks) - does not explicitly mention a TC in the FAQ

You can only apply for the direct TC or the scheme in a given year. TC direct apps close on last day of November - so before the winter workshop runs. I am somewhat inclined to apply for the direct TC but have no legal work exp - should I be applying for the winter workshop (I have a preference for this as a career changer as means less leave to take)
    Anyone have any knowledge on what puts you on best footing with S&M? Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know what kind of % of trainees at Slaughters have done a scheme or similar?
    They seem to run:
    2 Day Winter Workshop - notes 'at the end, you will have the opportunity to apply for a training contract'
    Spring Work Exp Scheme (1 week) - notes 'at the end, you will have the opportunity to apply for a training contract'
    Summer Work Exp Scheme (3 weeks) - does not explicitly mention a TC in the FAQ

You can only apply for the direct TC or the scheme in a given year. TC direct apps close on last day of November - so before the winter workshop runs. I am somewhat inclined to apply for the direct TC but have no legal work exp - should I be applying for the winter workshop (I have a preference for this as a career changer as means less leave to take)
    Anyone have any knowledge on what puts you on best footing with S&M? Thanks
    If you have no legal work experience, I would apply for an internship/insight programme.

• 🤝
    Reactions: prospectiveswitcher

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
    Sep 9, 2023
    Hi!

I was wondering what kind of structure is usually used/recommended when answering the 'tell us a commercial news topic that has interested you' type of questions.

I do know it's important to link it back to the firm, but how in-depth are answers meant to be? Does anyone have any tips on this?

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    What is the process for Stephenson Harwood? I have the GR virtual interview next week and I'm trying to work out how many more steps there are afterwards.

I thought it was just a partner interview after this, but I have read that there is also an interview with senior associates.

Arianne Kez

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 7, 2023
    Hi!

I was wondering what kind of structure is usually used/recommended when answering the 'tell us a commercial news topic that has interested you' type of questions.

I do know it's important to link it back to the firm, but how in-depth are answers meant to be? Does anyone have any tips on this?
    Hi

In terms of structure -

I attended a TCLA workshop and they mentioned that while there is not set structure you have to follow, it is good to start with the microanalysis then move on the macro-analysis

Micro being: analysing what actually happened in the deal

Macro: look at the wider implications, political, economic and legal impact - how this would affect the firm both internally and externally

Detail wise - I’ve been told you should be as detailed as possible really - not description but in analysis and forming an opinion around the story.

So after doing detailed research - choosing the top 4/5 things that were most interesting or important about the story and focusing on that and cutting out any unnecessary information

Reactions: legallybrunette8

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.