TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Minitomatosalad

Distinguished Member
Sep 14, 2023
I just finished an internship at a company in the legal department.
I was told by my co-workers and my line manager (former NY biglaw associate) that I was able to complete and understand tasks within a month where others would normally take months to a year. Is that something that I should mention in applications or does that come across as bragging or is irrelevant?

Last edited:
  • 🏆
Reactions: sxw517

FM302989

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    I was told by my co-workers and my line manager (former NY biglaw associate) that I was able to complete and understand tasks within a month where others would normally take months to a year. Is that something that I should mention in applications or does that come across as bragging or is irrelevant?
    There a way you can twist this to highlight your role, any challenges and your achievement (STAR method)? I guess you can sell the idea you've worked beyond what's typically expected at your level through example(s) rather than comparing yourself to others

But take your line manager's words as a decent compliment

Reactions: Minitomatosalad

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    You could def mention it within your work experience section as something like "I received positive feedback on my ability to competently understand complex tasks that were beyond my experience level" or something to that effect

badmintonflyinginsect

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 26, 2023
    Hi! Most first-year schemes/open days will be taking in applications from Sep 18 (a decent few on a rolling basis), but my first term for first year has only just begun and ends near Nov/Dec. Should I apply during winter break? Or should I apply during the term?

SS21

Distinguished Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Did anyone else receive this email from DLA Piper?

I’m worried because all I did was create a draft application - I haven’t submitted it yet so not sure why they’re saying my app will be declined. It’s incomplete bc it’s a draft…

57868620-c188-40af-a7c2-81c4f2385a02.jpeg

Reactions: hanz123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Did anyone else receive this email from DLA Piper?

I’m worried because all I did was create a draft application - I haven’t submitted it yet so not sure why they’re saying my app will be declined. It’s incomplete bc it’s a draft…

View attachment 5254
    One of two things - you have accidently submitted it or if not, this is just an automated email to advise you that you haven’t completed your application (which you know if true). I wouldn’t worry about it unless it has been submitted, and if it has it seems like there is still the ability to log back in and amend your application anyway.

Louise59

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    Hi - does this question means I cannot include a project I organised via a society ?

Please give a brief summary of any activities you've been involved in outside academic study or work over the last four years. Word Count (Max 100 words): 0

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi - does this question means I cannot include a project I organised via a society ?

Please give a brief summary of any activities you've been involved in outside academic study or work over the last four years. Word Count (Max 100 words): 0
    You can include it unless it is part of your degree.

Reactions: Louise59

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If we get accepted onto a specific VS (e.g. winter) would it be possible to defer it to the next one (e.g. spring) if we are no longer able to make it?
    In some cases, yes. In some cases, no. Really depends on the firms stance on this. Some firms may just push you to a direct TC process instead. Some firms will just advise you to reapply.

Denver

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 20, 2020
    for questions which ask 'Please give details of your extra-curricular activities, and any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility, or noteworthy achievements that will support your application'
    Can I mention experiences which are already mentioned in my work experience section?

My issue is: I included volunteering experiences in the work experience section (got approval from the firm to include it there).
    Now for the app question above - Can I talk about the volunteering experiences from a different angle than in my work experience section? For example for one of my experiences I mainly talk about what I did to change the structure and how I supported them and I would angle it differently to for example building rapport and forming lasting connections - ie angle the achievements in a different way.

Alternatively I could delete the volunteering from my work experience section and only include in the answer for the question above.

I am really struggling to find anything to talk about - all my prizes, positions of responsibilities and noteworthy achievements are already described in my work experience and I wasn't part of any sports team or anything like that. The only other thing I could talk about is how I do research and create mind-maps for commercial topics I am interested in but that's not really an achievement.

I hope I am making sense, feeling a bit frazzled today

5ktr

Feb 28, 2023
    Hello I've seen conflicting answers to this q on TCLA so I thought I should ask again to make sure. This is what the A&O (summer VS) application portal says:

'* I acknowledge that I am only permitted to apply once in any 12 month period for either a Training Contract or a Vacation Scheme. Please note that you are eligible to apply to multiple regional offices in the same year, but must make the relevant recruitment teams aware. If it is discovered that you have applied for more than one opportunity at the London office in a recruitment cycle, your application will be withdrawn regardless of the stage you have reached.'

My last application was 11 December 2022 - does this mean I have to wait 12 months from this date (which is beyond the application window for this year)? Thx in advance :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.