TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

rosec

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 25, 2022
Just thought I’d drop by and say that if anyone needs any help with the vac scheme process then please feel free to send me a message! I converted the vac schemes I secured last year and have since accepted a TC!!

This forum is a great resource and I would love to give back. Let me know if you have any questions or just need some advice and I’ll try my best to help😊

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020
Any DLA WG invites.
Not sure if the WG is automatic this year because of the change to the application process. But last year, I had to request for one to be sent to me (all applicants were sent the WG). So I’d give about 2 days since you submitted your app, then email Early Careers (that’s if the test is sent to all applicants)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, in this question, what does personal qualities mean? I am unsure about how to approach the question.

In your view which personal qualities make a successful lawyer? (250 words max) *
Personal qualities are your characteristics or strengths you have. The key thing with this question is it is not asking you what your personal qualities are, more lawyers more generally. The reality is you could pick hundreds of different points here that could all be considered as reasonable answers - it is just about you explaining why you feel the ones you are identifying are of particular importance - so really highlight your opinion on this.

LawEnthus

Star Member
Oct 2, 2020
Hi all,
On TW's application it asks "What has been the most influential medium in applying to Taylor Wessing?" This is a separate question to "From the list below, please indicate which source was most influential" (which means what website etc was most helpful eg chambers student). what do they mean by "medium"?
thank you!

Reactions: h79 and axelbeugre

Louise59

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    Personal qualities are your characteristics or strengths you have. The key thing with this question is it is not asking you what your personal qualities are, more lawyers more generally. The reality is you could pick hundreds of different points here that could all be considered as reasonable answers - it is just about you explaining why you feel the ones you are identifying are of particular importance - so really highlight your opinion on this.
    Thank you Jessica, very helpful as always.

Louise59

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    For White & Case vac schemers last year, did you write a 3,000 words cover letter and 1,500 words on your extracurricular activities or is it possible to do less (esp for extra curricular). I know it is often important to stick to the word count, but it's a lot for extracurricular.

TheTCcommune

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 26, 2022
    For White & Case vac schemers last year, did you write a 3,000 words cover letter and 1,500 words on your extracurricular activities or is it possible to do less (esp for extra curricular). I know it is often important to stick to the word count, but it's a lot for extracurricular.
    is it actually 3000 and 1500 words? Seems like a crazy amount but maybe it's characters? That's like writing a uni essay all over again o_O

Reactions: axelbeugre

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 17, 2023
    ur not meant to write that much - grad rec said theres no 'formal word count', hence why its 3000 words hahaaha

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi all,
    On TW's application it asks "What has been the most influential medium in applying to Taylor Wessing?" This is a separate question to "From the list below, please indicate which source was most influential" (which means what website etc was most helpful eg chambers student). what do they mean by "medium"?
    thank you!
    Hi @LawEnthus I am not entirely sure but I am assuming they mean interactions you had with the firm, people you talked to that might inspired you to apply or also reading some particular piece of news about them on forums, online journals, podcasts, interviews of important partners at the firm, things of that nature. I hope this is helpful and let me know if you have any other query!

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022
    Just got rejected to attend an open day at Baker McKenzie - a little surprised and disappointed.
    Does anyone know how competitive they are?

I felt I wrote a decent application and have been accepted to attend open days (at arguably more 'prestigious' firms) in the past.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just got rejected to attend an open day at Baker McKenzie - a little surprised and disappointed.
    Does anyone know how competitive they are?

I felt I wrote a decent application and have been accepted to attend open days (at arguably more 'prestigious' firms) in the past.
    Sometimes people are rejected because they may not benefit from attending the open day. If your profile is strong enough to be considered for a direct application for a VS or TC, they may just think you are better suited to applying directly for those.

Or they could have seen the list of more prestigious firms and wondered why you were now considering them?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.