TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Is it true international students cannot complete Winter and Spring vacation schemes? Only Summer?
Unfortunately international students cannot complete Winter schemes, for Spring vacation schemes it depends on the dates of the scheme and your university term dates. I, as an international student, was able to do a spring scheme because it was outside of term time.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hi peeps

so for the 'why me' section of a cover letter - what exactly do they want to know? Do I write about my work experience -
ie for job X found creative ways to teach the alphabet and then apply how that would make me a good solicitor?
or is it awards and prizes I won?
i find this part especially cringe
Your work experience is likely to be included elsewhere in your application, so won’t need repeating, and it’s likely the awards and prizes would be too.

Try to break it down more to how you will align with the firm, by either your motivations to do the work they can provide or by the character/values you hold that aligns with the firm.

Reactions: Minitomatosalad

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
hi peeps

so for the 'why me' section of a cover letter - what exactly do they want to know? Do I write about my work experience -
ie for job X found creative ways to teach the alphabet and then apply how that would make me a good solicitor?
or is it awards and prizes I won?
i find this part especially cringe
As strange as it can seem, you need to be able to engage with your experiences in a way that they distinguish you from your peers.
Some tips that were useful to me were:
  1. Highlight Relevant Skills and Experience: Clearly state your qualifications and experience that make you a strong candidate for the role. Focus on the skills and experiences that directly relate to the specific position you're applying for. Mention any internships or previous work that is relevant to the tasks of a trainee. I think that this helped me understand how to sell my non-legal experiences in a way that they make sense as to why you want to train as a solicitor. You can include awards and prizes, especially if the firm does not have an additional information section in the application, as these will showcase your academic skills too. But I would say it is not a prerequisite.
  2. Show Passion and Enthusiasm: Convey your genuine interest in working for the firm. Explain why you're passionate about the field of law and how that enthusiasm drives you to want to work for this particular firm. Be specific about what aspects of their work, clients, or values resonate with you.
  3. Connect Your Background: Describe how your background, whether it's related to your education, personal experiences, or previous jobs, uniquely positions you for success at the firm. Mention any special skills or knowledge that set you apart from other candidates.
  4. Relate to the Firm's Values: If the firm has specific values or a mission statement, discuss how your personal values and professional ethics align with theirs. This can demonstrate your cultural fit with the firm.
  5. Be Concise and Focused: Keep your "Why Me" section concise and to the point. Avoid unrelated details or long-winded explanations. Be clear and specific about why you are the best fit for the firm.
  6. Use Professional Language: Maintain a professional tone and use appropriate legal terminology. Your cover letter should demonstrate your ability to communicate effectively in a legal context.
  7. Proofread and Edit: Carefully proofread your cover letter for grammar, spelling, and clarity. Typos or errors can leave a negative impression. Consider seeking feedback from peers, mentors, or career advisors.
Keep in mind that the "Why Me" section of your cover letter needs to be intriguing and show how your skills and the company's requirements are a good fit. Make sure it harmonises with the rest of your cover letter and application as a whole.
Good luck with the application cycle! @Tomatosoup

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
They got tests now? tf
There are hardly any firms with no tests. I can only think of Slaughter and May. and Travers Smith for UK firms. Again, I find it odd how insanely profitable US firms get by using CV and cover letter when less profitable firms don't. I guess there's a lot of self-selection at the higher end and it's probably easier being in GR at a US firm because people don't apply out of imposter syndrome more often than with a firm like A&O which every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to apply to, so you have to have more barriers to entry etc. I may be wrong. I guess I just prefer subjective processes. I'm better at interviews than the WG etc.

Reactions: bibss

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There are hardly any firms with no tests. I can only think of Slaughter and May. and Travers Smith for UK firms. Again, I find it odd how insanely profitable US firms get by using CV and cover letter when less profitable firms don't. I guess there's a lot of self-selection at the higher end and it's probably easier being in GR at a US firm because people don't apply out of imposter syndrome more often than with a firm like A&O which every Tom, Dick and Harry seems to apply to, so you have to have more barriers to entry etc. I may be wrong. I guess I just prefer subjective processes. I'm better at interviews than the WG etc.
Many US firms will have a higher application to vacancy ratio, but effectively can afford to be super selective on other things rather than reading applications holistically (and probably even fully). They will filter out much more quickly based on what they see in an application in just a quick a way as seeing the results from a WG test.

I don’t think US firms are profitable because of their selection processes in the U.K. though.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Many US firms will have a higher application to vacancy ratio, but effectively can afford to be super selective on other things rather than reading applications holistically (and probably even fully). They will filter out much more quickly based on what they see in an application in just a quick a way as seeing the results from a WG test.

I don’t think US firms are profitable because of their selection processes in the U.K. though.
Fair point. I guess UK firms are more transparent in what they assess? Another thought was that for a lot of the US firms their UK recruitment processes still have the ink drying on them so maybe SJTs, WGs etc will come with time? Idk. I've found that they're quick to use VIs e.g. V&E, Willkie etc this is the second stage, whereas with most UK firms it would be a WG or SJT.

I don't know if anyone else has had this sinking feeling that you more or less have to get JobTestPrep to have a chance in WGs. I'm sure that's not true, but it feels like an arms race. Sorry if anyone on here is an affiliate marketer for JobTestPrep!

On the topic of diversity, I'm struck by the Oxbridge dominance at many of the US firms: Goodwin Procter 40%, Sidley Austin 44%, Akin 46%, Ropes & Gray 48%, Kirkland & Ellis 50%, Milbank 53%!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sharon Wu

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Fair point. I guess UK firms are more transparent in what they assess? Another thought was that for a lot of the US firms their UK recruitment processes still have the ink drying on them so maybe SJTs, WGs etc will come with time? Idk. I've found that they're quick to use VIs e.g. V&E, Willkie etc this is the second stage, whereas with most UK firms it would be a WG or SJT.

I don't know if anyone else has had this sinking feeling that you more or less have to get JobTestPrep to have a chance in WGs. I'm sure that's not true, but it feels like an arms race. Sorry if anyone on here is an affiliate marketer for JobTestPrep!

On the topic of diversity, I'm struck by the Oxbridge dominance at many of the US firms. Kirkland & Ellis 50%, Milbank 53%!
Add sidley

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

On the topic of diversity, I'm struck by the Oxbridge dominance at many of the US firms: Goodwin Procter 40%, Sidley Austin 44%, Akin 46%, Ropes & Gray 48%, Kirkland & Ellis 50%, Milbank 53%!
On the diversity point, that is probably one of the key ways they can quickly select people - it won’t just be the university they attend, but also the grades people have to get into that university and then the grades they have achieved while there. It’s one way to be super selective and quickly make decisions. That’s very much like the US model of recruitment where they effectively headhunt the best students at key universities.

The WG will level the playing field in that respect.

In regards to practice assessments, you don’t have to rely on sites like job prep. You can access a lot of free resources both online and through things like your university careers service. I think practicing does help to some level both with confidence and familiarity of the questions posed. But you don’t need a paid for service to do this and ultimately there is a bit of a ceiling on how these services can help you, particularly in the medium to long term. It’s much better to invest time into general verbal comprehension though other means that will build your skills set out in other ways (eg writing articles, analysing written text etc).

Reactions: Tintin06

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    any advice for staying motivated during this application cycle? this is my third application cycle, and while I have gone past written application stage for my previous application cycles, I can't seem to succeed past the AC stage...any advice for staying motivated and positive during the vac scheme/ tc application cycles
    If you are getting to ACs then fundamentally you have a application that means firms want to hire you.

Performance at AC will improve overtime but there are ways that you can improve- mock interviews and written tests (often provided by your university) can help.

I would also reflect on your past ACs, get feedback if you have not already and work on common themes. Feedback is good dust.

Ultimately you are almost there, hopefully this cycle you will be able to take the final step!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.