TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Anyone with experience of Ropes & Gray and Sullivan & Cromwell, please @ me. Thanks!
I applied to Sullivan & Cromwell last year! What I can say is that they seem to regard grades very heavily so make sure you are in the top of your classes ranking I would say! But both are really good firms so good luck with the applications!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
does anyone have an insight on latham's test post-app? is it automatic and what are the questions like?
If i remember correctly from last year it is a situational judgment test and it is automatic. Make sure to look at the firm's values and objectives for trainees and lawyers and utilise for your advantage once you are doing the test! However, it might have changed this year so do not quote me on that! Good luck with the application!

AlfredH1031

Jan 31, 2023
with Gibson Dunn it should be quick but it really depends on the cycle and who applied but in theory if you do not hear after a month and half, maybe reach out to them so they can explain what is happening. For context, I applied last year on the 20th of December and I received an interview invite the same day I applied but other people received it after a week or after 2/3 days, so it really depends! Hang in there though, I am sure it will be fine!
Personally, I speculate that GDC is waiting for enough applications (2 October is still quite early) to review them in one batch at a time.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Ffs we know what this means. Written Qs replaced with VI
It is disappointing to have to remind you yet again about our community terms and conditions and keeping this in mind with your tone in the forums when responding to others, especially when the last reminder was only a couple of days ago.

However, it seems necessary to do so. Please remind yourself of the community terms here and particularly section 1: TCLA Forum terms

Reactions: axelbeugre

LawEnthus

Star Member
Oct 2, 2020
Hi @axelbeugre @Jessica Booker, Im looking for some advice:

If a firm (SPB) gives two separate vac scheme dates and asks "select which one week placement would be more suitable for you", does that mean you will not be considered for the other week?

One of the weeks overlaps with the vac scheme of somewhere else I have applied to but I don't know if I will be offered that firm's vac scheme or not so I would prefer the week that doesn't overlap... but might be able to do either. Is it better to put that I am available for both then update them if the other firm gets back to me first? what if this firm responds first offering me that week, when the other firm doesn't offer more than one scheme? not saying I am arrogant enough to believe I will get both, I just don't want to prematurely close myself off to things. Or, should I select from the drop down menu that the other week is preferable, because they will consider everyone for both and just try to accommodate people's preferred week if they are successful?

TIA!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Nbs2023

Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 21, 2023
Anyone got an idea about how the Jones Day Interviews are?
Hey - there should be a few comments here on TCLA providing details on the interview but at one of their open evening events, they said the interview is supposed to be a ~40 min chat with two (I think) lawyers in a pretty "relaxed" setting.
1. The questions will mainly focus on your motivations, why JD and generally getting to know you better. Think of it as them trying to figure out if they could stand a 7-hour long car journey with you / do you have some interesting stories / can you keep up a conversation etc.
2. They will ask a commercial awareness / technical question towards the end as well so prepare well for that. They are honest about drilling into the details here. My advice is -read up on news, find your market/ area of interest, check BCG/McKinsey/Bain reports, check Goldman Sachs/ Barclays other bank reports and also read up on law firm "insights". Try to cover a range of sources and gather perspectives from micro/macro levels - assess key players and direct/indirect implications of the trend for law firms (or even better, JD specifically). Sometimes, it helps to go back and forward between the types of sources - i find that news stories are more interesting after having looked through the consulting reports. Oh and investopedia. dont forget investopedia as a great source for explaining financial aspects.
3. Finally, make sure you have prepared some questions for them towards the end of the chat. It can be about their roles / the firm / their views on any market trends. They mentioned a question they had liked which was pretty technical and challenging (candidate had asked a lawyer about his view on implications of Gary Gensler's (SEC Chair) efforts to increase regulatory scrutiny in a specific area - something along those lines).
Good luck!
Also, do you mind sharing details of when you applied / when you heard back? Is it for WVS?

Thanks

Reactions: emilyding

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.