TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Links don't have a benchmark and if you hit that you get AC spot. What are your grades like? I got 97 last year and got rejected but I know that was because I had poor grades.
    My grades are decent I think, I got a high 2:1 (67%) at undergrad for law at a RG university. I then got a merit (66%) for a master's in corporate law from another RG university and a distinction on the LPC MSc.

I did find the Capp test for Linklaters a bit difficult and I have never passed a SJT test for a lot of firms so I do think my answers could have been inconsistent etc. Also, I don't know if you also did that assessment but there were WG-style questions at the end that were very difficult so maybe that played a part too!

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    My grades are decent I think, I got a high 2:1 (67%) at undergrad for law at a RG university. I then got a merit (66%) for a master's in corporate law from another RG university and a distinction on the LPC MSc.

I did find the Capp test for Linklaters a bit difficult and I have never passed a SJT test for a lot of firms so I do think my answers could have been inconsistent etc. Also, I don't know if you also did that assessment but there were WG-style questions at the end that were very difficult so maybe that played a part too!
    Bro you got 99 on WG so I don't think the WG Qs on the Capp would have been an issue haha

Livvia

Premium Member
    Apr 12, 2023
    Hey, don't be sorry! It says I scored very highly for respect and commercial thinking. Those are the only strengths in the report.

My only weakness in the report is leadership preference.
    Had a friend who had similar and made the cut. No one knows how this firm selects. But I am confident your good WG score should put you in a good position with applications in other firms using WG.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Untilwinter and Ali A

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Can I ask how you managed to score so highly on the WG?
    I have only done 2 real WGs. Last year I did not progress with CMS and then this time for Links I seemed to score really high.

All I did for this WG was do the practice test on CC's website and I got 85% so I thought I should just do the Links WG right away.

Honestly, I do not know how I did it but I did make sure not to overthink and read the questions out aloud. Also, I would recommend YouTube videos about the WG from people who seem to have mastered them. Hope this helps!

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    I did the vac scheme with Linklaters last year.

For anyone wondering, they consider more the Capp test. When I did it, I considered their framework. However, there is no specific way to pass the test. For the WG the benchmark is quite low, you just need to pass it.

They also fast track a lot of people to the vac scheme AC from their own programmes, such as Pathfinder, Exclusive Open Days, and other programmes. Having a place in one of their programmes doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be fast tracked to their vacation scheme AC. However, it increases your chances by a lot. Completing their Forage internship is also a plus when applying.

They really look closely at your academic profile. Apparently, to increase the chances of an AC is to have at least a 65% or above in your university modules. Students with an average of 65% or higher are prioritised.

Last edited:

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Thank you! Just a quick further question - should you link your motivations to actual experiences (e.g. work experience in one of the sectors they operate in) or just state what genuinely interests you about the firm?
    if you can find a link, that would be even better so I would say to try and find some linkages. It does not necessarily have to be work experience, it can also be a personal experience or anecdote or anything about you that relates to what you are saying.

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Are you sure? I submitted mine on the 24th and have not received the invite yet
    yes, I think it's worth bearing in mind that this period is super busy for GR, so it isn't unusual for there to be a slight delay in them sending the WG invites - they don't send them to candidates all at once. By automatic, I mean that everyone receives a WG invite eventually - they don't review your application answers before sending them out. Hope this helps! :)

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    When writing work experiences on application form, should I write it in bullet points as in CV or paragraphs?
    Always use paragraphs for law firm applications! This is what they want in the applications. I would say that if you are unsure then it would be worth sending them an email just to confirm but paragraphs are way better!

Good luck with the cycle!

emilyding

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 6, 2023
    Always use paragraphs for law firm applications! This is what they want in the applications. I would say that if you are unsure then it would be worth sending them an email just to confirm but paragraphs are way better!

Good luck with the cycle!
    When writing in paragraphs, should I link my developed skills to the firms? Or its fine just to mention the skills I develop from work?

Reactions: axelbeugre

F AJMI

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 11, 2022
    Hey @F AJMI, I think that it is something that many law students do so it is not frowned upon, however it is overly used, and I feel like it will not allow you to distinguish from other candidates. This is my personal opinion of course.

I feel like it is fine to mention a subject you have studied, but I would not mention it as the only reason why you developed an interest into a specific practice area that the firm offers. I would stress how also other factors, such as a personal anecdote or an experience you had allowed you to see how useful that practice area can be in the future for many people/clients etc. This way, you will attract the attention of whoever is reading thousands of applications from law students who are probably mentioning that same module and you also have something to talk about during your interview if they were to ask you something around what you have said.

For example, when I was applying to Gibson Dunn last year, I stressed the importance of the litigation department, which was what attracted me to the firm. Rather than linking this to an online course I had done around litigation and arbitration, which would have probably been easier to do for me, I linked it to an experience I had at an EU institution which exposed me to litigation procedures which I found fascinating at the time. This sparked the interest of graduate recruitment, which was very interested in hearing my experience. And it worked out perfectly for me!

I hope my suggestions are helpful and good luck with the application cycle!
    Hi thanks a lot for the feedback

Would you say that talking about work experience is always much better than talking about forage virtual work experience schemes, online courses or online lectures. I have complete a couple of legal work experiences at high street firms and whilst they have allowed me to experience various legal sectors, i am a little worried that it might seem like somewhat of a leap to link those to the practice areas of major commercial law firms.

In a "why this firm" question with a 250 word world limit, how much would you reccommend talking about personal experiences as opposed to showing research into the firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When writing in paragraphs, should I link my developed skills to the firms? Or its fine just to mention the skills I develop from work?
    I don’t think you need to explicitly link it to the firm. Either the details you are providing are relevant to the firm in some way or they are not. The reader is likely going to be able to read the skills from your description anyway and make the link. Plus the stuff you have done in the past hasn’t been done with this job application in mind, so linking it to the firm feels a bit forced.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi thanks a lot for the feedback

Would you say that talking about work experience is always much better than talking about forage virtual work experience schemes, online courses or online lectures. I have complete a couple of legal work experiences at high street firms and whilst they have allowed me to experience various legal sectors, i am a little worried that it might seem like somewhat of a leap to link those to the practice areas of major commercial law firms.

In a "why this firm" question with a 250 word world limit, how much would you reccommend talking about personal experiences as opposed to showing research into the firm.
    I would recommend thinking about this more as to what you feel is the most appropriate evidence rather than the nature of the evidence itself. It’s far more important to utilise the experiences you think you have learnt more from / gained the most skills from / have challenged you the most.

How much you talk about your personal experience depends on the connection to the firm. However, I always recommend the “why the firm” has a forward looking element to it - it isn’t sufficient to just talk about what you have done in past, it’s important to see yourself in the future in this role and explain why it is going to be the right opportunity for you. Plus your past experiences have to focus more on what’s motivated you to this point rather than highlighting what you have done/what skills you have developed.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.