TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

rkmg2510

Premium Member
Oct 27, 2023
Hi everyone!
I'm in a pit of a sticky situation with Bird & Bird. I got accepted to their open day - but never got an email about it (assuming it went to my junk mail), I've only just seen the communication notification on the portal as I am applying to their VS. Due to being in the hospital that week for surgery, I would've been unable to attend regardless - but unfortunately never got the opportunity to let them know, and fear I may be 'blacklisted' for being a no-communication no-show. Is there any point in continuing the application process? Should I reach out to them now?
They're one of my top firms!

Reactions: axelbeugre

ayek

Oct 11, 2023
Hey, how did your VI go? I have a couple days left to do it but I keep putting it off because my nerves are getting the best of me!
Hey, I totally understand!

First thing: do not panic (hilarious coming from me given my last post, but really!)

It really wasn’t as difficult as I had built it up to be in my head. It was actually quite simple.

About the VI:

If I’m remembering correctly, you get around 1/2 minutes prep time for the first two questions (your response is limited to 1 minute) and 4 minutes to prepare for the last question (your response is limited to 3 minutes).

The system allows you to practice before you submit and makes the process quite clear, so don’t worry about that.

About prep:

For the VI itself, I would recommend thinking about your skills and looking at the DLA Piper values.

Where I struggled was that I prepared a lot for very difficult questions, so when the VI asked simpler ones, I stumbled a bit. So, I recommend making sure you cover basic questions in your prep, too.

I hope this helps! Best of luck for it 😊 just stay calm and collected (even if you don’t feel it), and remember to look at the camera and try to pretend like you’re talking to a person.

ayek

Oct 11, 2023
Honestly, I have found there is no simple solution to combat the mental toll of the application cycle. However I would say, allow yourself to detach once in a while.

Do not be afraid to take a little bit of a break here and there, but not too long to the point you lose your mojo. For example, and this is probably not the best advice, but I missed out on sending my Covington & Burling/Allen & Overy WVS applications even-though they were on my list. However, looking back I do not regret it. I needed those breaks to recharge and relax, and I have found its helped me a lot with my other applications, and tests/VI's. I would say balance this out, I could afford to lost out on these two because they have spring/summer/direct. Try to see if there are any applications you can pass over to another month, just to give you that extra time to rest.

Equally, try not to think about an application once it has been sent. In the past, I would sit here waiting on any update, and each time I would see somebody get invited I would assume an automatic rejection. It's crippling and can lead to demotivation for the rest of the cycle, thus impacting further applications. The best thing you can do for yourself is ignore the application once it has been sent or once any automated tests have been complete. Honestly, doing this I found my disappointment in a rejection post-app to be very short-lived, and it does not impact me as much as it did in the past.

Lastly, as for the anxiety or nerves, what works for me is to prepare as well as I can, and breathe. TCLA has a wealth of insight over individual applications, whether thats through another member's experience, or past applications and successful answers. There is so much there to allow you to feel a little less alone, and a lot more supported.

You've got this! x

P.S. The DLA VI (if that's what is bugging you atm) is not so bad. It is just a strengths-based interview which requires little to no knowledge of DLA. I actually messed up the last question and only answered the first half (which in my opinion should have been more than enough for a rejection) but I passed the benchmark and have proceeded to review.

For VI's, I would recommend doing a practice test with shortlist.me. They are not the same platform, but they are the only platform out there (which I have seen) that give you an insight as to how textbook VI questions should be approached.
Really great post! I second this RE the second half of the question for Q3.

I also talked for quite a while about the first half, and with 30 seconds remaining remembered to talk about the second half. Yikes.

So, make sure you keep that in mind and practice your answers well during prep time. @islasorna 😊

Reactions: LegallyBrown

lovelaw223

Star Member
Dec 15, 2022
Honestly, I have found there is no simple solution to combat the mental toll of the application cycle. However I would say, allow yourself to detach once in a while.

Do not be afraid to take a little bit of a break here and there, but not too long to the point you lose your mojo. For example, and this is probably not the best advice, but I missed out on sending my Covington & Burling/Allen & Overy WVS applications even-though they were on my list. However, looking back I do not regret it. I needed those breaks to recharge and relax, and I have found its helped me a lot with my other applications, and tests/VI's. I would say balance this out, I could afford to lost out on these two because they have spring/summer/direct. Try to see if there are any applications you can pass over to another month, just to give you that extra time to rest.

Equally, try not to think about an application once it has been sent. In the past, I would sit here waiting on any update, and each time I would see somebody get invited I would assume an automatic rejection. It's crippling and can lead to demotivation for the rest of the cycle, thus impacting further applications. The best thing you can do for yourself is ignore the application once it has been sent or once any automated tests have been complete. Honestly, doing this I found my disappointment in a rejection post-app to be very short-lived, and it does not impact me as much as it did in the past.

Lastly, as for the anxiety or nerves, what works for me is to prepare as well as I can, and breathe. TCLA has a wealth of insight over individual applications, whether thats through another member's experience, or past applications and successful answers. There is so much there to allow you to feel a little less alone, and a lot more supported.

You've got this! x

P.S. The DLA VI (if that's what is bugging you atm) is not so bad. It is just a strengths-based interview which requires little to no knowledge of DLA. I actually messed up the last question and only answered the first half (which in my opinion should have been more than enough for a rejection) but I passed the benchmark and have proceeded to review.

For VI's, I would recommend doing a practice test with shortlist.me. They are not the same platform, but they are the only platform out there (which I have seen) that give you an insight as to how textbook VI questions should be approached.
Hey,
Well done on getting benchmark!
How long between doing the VI and hearing back?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.