TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

EM23

Esteemed Member
Dec 10, 2022
Anyone have any recommendations of English law firms that actually like "non-law" grads? I am a Scottish LLB grad but apart from my vac scheme with Farrer & Co last year seems like I keep falling at the first hurdle for my apps

Pumpkinsoup

Standard Member
Oct 30, 2023
Hi

This is not VS related but it’s the most watched thread.
I have basically been offered a position today and interviewed for another position also today. It’s in-house, one is compliance and the other legal so if someone has in-house experience please DM me and I can share some more information about each role, and help me make a decision. I don’t know anyone personally with in-house legal experience so I don’t know who to consult. I’m very grateful for any career advice I can get :)

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Oct 8, 2021
I am really struggling with the work experience section. I have been using a style that I think has been letting down my applications. I have a lot of work experience (about 10 previous jobs) and so I am worried about listing skills learned as it will inevitably end up with me repeating myself. Shall I just list the responsibilities/task I had and then graduate recruitment can ascertain the skills from that, or should I explicitly state the skills? Also should I start a new line for each new task? E.g.

'I performed legal tasks including bundling.

I liaised with Court staff to secure an earlier hearing.'

It is easier to read than my last style but just worried grad recruitment will find it too basic looking when I am proud of my writing style! Would really appreciate the help please :) (Maybe @Jessica Booker ?)

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
I am really struggling with the work experience section. I have been using a style that I think has been letting down my applications. I have a lot of work experience (about 10 previous jobs) and so I am worried about listing skills learned as it will inevitably end up with me repeating myself. Shall I just list the responsibilities/task I had and then graduate recruitment can ascertain the skills from that, or should I explicitly state the skills? Also should I start a new line for each new task? E.g.

'I performed legal tasks including bundling.

I liaised with Court staff to secure an earlier hearing.'

It is easier to read than my last style but just worried grad recruitment will find it too basic looking when I am proud of my writing style! Would really appreciate the help please :) (Maybe @Jessica Booker ?)
I have a lot of experience to list down, too. What I tend to do is to describe what the company is in the first sentence. The rest should clarify what I did in these roles, the impact I created (if any and quantify ideally), and explain my achievements (i.e., converted a 1-month internship into a two month due to a good review, or receiving praise from a managing partner for a presentation etc.,)

You can use liaised with staff, for example but I would phrase it more powerfully and give more context to explain the skillset required and challenges (if any) involved.

I think group themes of tasks in paragraphs might be a good idea. As in, office related tasks can be grouped together -> describe impact in that context. Court related tasks can be grouped together -> explain impact to facilitating the smooth running of a trial.

Reactions: Parsorandini

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.