TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I completed my studies outside the UK, but I noticed that many vacation scheme applications do not have the space to explain my home country. Do you suggest getting in touch with the graduate recruitment team to understand how to provide the extra explanation? Thank you in advance

Reactions: axelbeugre

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I just went to submit my MoFo application after spending a couple of days on it, not having been logged out (which admittedly, I did find quite odd), and now I have received an error message and all the information I entered has gone. It seems you can't save the application anyway, so I assumed it was like vantage, in that it doesn't log out after a period of user inactivity.

A surefire way to boil my p*ss on a Sunday morning.

• Haha
    Reactions: mfuturetrainee

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Hey guys, if you were to have an hour interview with grad rec and they ask "why our firm?" how long would you spend talking? Would 5-7 minutes be overkill? Thank you!
    ive always been told rule of thumb is 90 seconds to avoid waffle, there is leeway 10-20 seconds over that but dont try and go over it by too much is what my advice would be

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    I just went to submit my MoFo application after spending a couple of days on it, not having been logged out (which admittedly, I did find quite odd), and now I have received an error message and all the information I entered has gone. It seems you can't save the application anyway, so I assumed it was like vantage, in that it doesn't log out after a period of user inactivity.

A surefire way to boil my p*ss on a Sunday morning.
    that is so painful im so sorry I literally cant imagine anything worse than logging in your work experience all over again

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hey guys, if you were to have an hour interview with grad rec and they ask "why our firm?" how long would you spend talking? Would 5-7 minutes be overkill? Thank you!
    I don't think there's a no hard and fast rule on this. In my opinion, it's more important to give a full answer to the question by pick one or two points and keep it succinctly to that with a structured answer to avoid waffling. Obviously, don't spend too long answering it, but I wouldn't rush it either. In my interview, my prepped answer was about 150 to 200 words long, I didn't focus on the minutes, and took the time to speak calmly and clearly until I finished my response.

Hope this helps!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

I completed my studies outside the UK, but I noticed that many vacation scheme applications do not have the space to explain my home country. Do you suggest getting in touch with the graduate recruitment team to understand how to provide the extra explanation? Thank you in advance
    I would just email a brief explanation to the main graduate recruitment email address as that will be the most useful way to provide this information.

Alternatively if you can upload a document to the system, then you could add that as a document to your application.

I would say 9 times out of 10 though, no explanation is needed. I know many other countries academic systems, and when I don’t I had an international qualification guide. In the vary rare instances where the qualification isn’t in that guide, I would research it.

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes - this is too long in my opinion. I would aim for more around the 3 minute mark.

I sense you are either trying to include too many points or are going into too much detail about how you have gained an interest in an area you are identifying - you rarely need the detail of what you have done in motivational questions, you can just focus on what you have enjoyed/been interested in.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.