TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Lopez2017

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 11, 2023
According to their website, CMS says that a successful two weeks on their Insight Scheme may mean one is invited to an assessment centre for a training contract.

Any idea what the chances are of this happening or is their Insight Scheme rather unassociated with a training contract?

HandCranKelly

Nov 6, 2023
BCLP has 4 x 500-word questions for their SVS. 2000 words. An essay. They want an essay :( All that just to get "we regret to inform you"...
Easy solution: stop applying to these places. They'll get the message soon enough with lower numbers and lower quality chosen.

But they're banking on dog eat dog / rats in a sack to continue regardless so....

Manuchelsout

Legendary Member
Nov 8, 2023
Easy solution: stop applying to these places. They'll get the message soon enough with lower numbers and lower quality chosen.

But they're banking on dog eat dog / rats in a sack to continue regardless so....
But both of these firms have strength based interviews which maybe explains why they both opt for long questions to assess your strengths from those app questions

Reactions: Jessica Booker

HandCranKelly

Nov 6, 2023
But both of these firms have strength based interviews which maybe explains why they both opt for long questions to assess your strengths from those app questions
If you need an equivalent essay to work this out, then something is not quite right with the process. Law is not academia either.

Do they give any form of feedback at the application stage? If not, you are getting nothing out of it apart from an automated email in the vast majority of cases.

Imagine writing a 2000 paper in any other situation and getting a robot rejection.

Reactions: dd13

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Does anyone know if there is a way we can find out how many people would be invited to ACs for a specific firm?
Unfortunately I do not think there is an actual way as law firms keep this piece of information very confidential. Additionally, there are people who get invites and reject them all the time so the number would not even be accurate. It would definitely be easier though if it was known for sure!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker,

I completed my studies outside the UK, but I noticed that many vacation scheme applications do not have the space to explain my home country. Do you suggest getting in touch with the graduate recruitment team to understand how to provide the extra explanation? Thank you in advance
Hey @S87,

I myself have an undergraduate degree completed outside of the United Kingdom and when I was applying to vacation schemes last year I was in your same position. However, I always found space to explain my different education system, I never emailed a law firm with my education information. If there is no space to explain your education system, putting in in the 'Additional Information' section is the way to go, according to some law firms' graduate recruitment. If the application you are completing does not seem to have any space to explain your education, then I would advise to email the firm and ask them where you can provide this information.

Good luck with the application process!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey guys, if you were to have an hour interview with grad rec and they ask "why our firm?" how long would you spend talking? Would 5-7 minutes be overkill? Thank you!
I think it really depends on the situation and the interview itself. I would not quantify the number of minutes it is advisable to speak in an interview. This, in my opinion, depends on a number of different factors, i.e. interviewer-interviewee relationship, whether the interview is flowing well or not, whether the interviewer is very interested in your answer and let you speak. So, it is quite difficult to put a number to it. I would say that as long as you have seen graduate recruitment engaging in a positive way with your answer, then this is all that matters.

Besides, I think that if you were speaking for a long time, you probably would have realised for yourself that you are speaking too much and you would have stopped yourself, so I would not overthink this too much. I am sure you did just fine.

Congratulations for having completed an interview though, this is really impressive!

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you need an equivalent essay to work this out, then something is not quite right with the process. Law is not academia either.

Do they give any form of feedback at the application stage? If not, you are getting nothing out of it apart from an automated email in the vast majority of cases.

Imagine writing a 2000 paper in any other situation and getting a robot rejection.
Considering drafting skills are a key component of a lawyer’s job, I understand the logic of longer questions and unique questions to the firm.

It’s not for everyone, but the same could be said for psychometric tests, video interviews, group exercises etc. There will always be parts of the recruitment process people don’t like or don’t think they are good at. And plenty of people will choose to not apply because of that - but firms will have plenty who do, so it’s of little lost to them. In fact the strategy could be to reduce the number of people applying to the most motivated.

The recruitment process is going to be something they have considered carefully, developed and tweaked over time to get to something that works for them.

Interestingly, BCLP reduced the word count on their application forms last year and everyone went into meltdown (including on here) about how they were going to write their answers with fewer words. The firm then seemed to back track quite quickly and went back to the 500 words per answer. Maybe that was because of the backlash, maybe it was because they were not seeing the evidence that they wanted in the shorter form.

As for the “any other situation” comment, there will be plenty of situations as a lawyer where you won’t get feedback on your efforts. It will happen regularly enough throughout a legal career that people should be prepared for it to go beyond a recruitment process.

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2023
Hey @axelbeugre , was hoping if you could help with some pointers for the employment section of the Goodwin VS application, it would be very appreciated!

1. They do not have a maximum amount for the employment. I have a fair few amount of experience (mostly non-legal), how many experiences would you recommend putting down?
2. Do you think it is sufficient to write just the skills and type of role you did (bullet point style) or did you put it in detail and link it to Goodwin?
Thank you 😇

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.